13

The Ringmaster sat at his desk within his lonesome hut. He was disgusted with himself. Keelia may have accepted her mother's punishment, but did that really mean that she would ever look at him the same as before. Lorcan glanced at his reflection in the almost empty glass before him. His face had gotten quite hideous over the past fortnight. His skin was almost scaly and scars detailed his cheeks. The skin upon his lips was scabbed and lastly, his eyes looked feral. How could Keelia show any affection towards him now?

Aibreann entered the hut as Lorcan swallowed the last bit of gin in his glass. "I thought I would find you sulking alone in here."

"It's pointless. Tomorrow is the last day. I've failed you, dear sister." Lorcan let his face fall into his hands.

Aibreann knelt at his side, trying to catch a glimpse of his face. "You have never failed me. In fact, you make me proud. Your past may be dark, but your future is shining with a bright hope. Do not give up now. You have until tomorrow's sunset for Keelia to declare her love."

Lorcan shook his head and leaned back in his chair. "How could she love a beast? Have you taken a good stare at my appearance lately, I'm hideous!"

Aibreann placed a hand upon her brother's cheek. "You must not doubt that young woman's heart. Every time I catch her staring at you, her love is plainly seen as the stars in the sky."

That sparked hope within Lorcan. Perhaps he wasn't a lost cause after all. There was still a chance to save the circus folk from his past foolishness. He would forever feel guilt for that lonely nymph girl from all those years ago. Now she had returned to remind him of his cruel heart. Now, that cold heart yearned for her daughter. How thoughtless the fates were! No matter, he could not change the past, but he could make the future better with every last bit of effort within himself. He would no longer be selfish.

"Thank you, dear Aibreann," Lorcan murmured. "Father and mother would be so proud of you."

Aibreann let out a sad smile. "They are smiling for you within the Night River, as well."

And with that last remark, Aibreann left her brother in the solitude of his hut.

***

Maeve sat next to Keelia, watching the distant sun set on the horizon. Her friend held onto the glass container her mother was currently inside. Keelia was on the edge of her seat within Maghnus' hut. Tadhg stood just behind them and impatiently waited for the return of Kyna, his previous tightrope partner. He could not imagine the desperation she had felt for her daughter to have enough nerve to return back to the circus. Tadhg remembered helping Kyna escape all those years ago, and smiled to himself.

Keelia suddenly gasped as the glass cage began to rattle and full up with a windstorm of sparkling green dust. The swirls of the dust spun faster and faster to the point of it looking like a green blur. The dust pushed open the door on the glass cage and moved itself to the area before the gathering people. Then, just as before, the dust settled and there before them stood a beautiful nymph.

"Mother!" Keelia rushed to Stella and wrapped her thin arms around her waist. "You're back!"

Stella caressed her daughter's fiery red hair. "Indeed, I am."

Maghnus rushed to his best friend and smiled brilliantly at her. "Kyna, I always knew you were a star."

Stella smiled, "You're the reason why I chose the name Stella."

Tadhg approached and pushed everyone else out of his path. "Kyna, you wouldn't believe how dull it was around here before your daughter turned up. I knew her gift with the high wire was certainly abnormal, but now it all makes sense. She really is part nymph."