6

Please note that the chapters from here on out are not edited and that there will be mistakes. Feel free to comment on them as it will help me improve as a writer. Thanks!

Mrs. Adams groaned due to her sore muscles. Never had she endured such a beating in all her days. Her back was bruised in multiple places and her left leg was red and burning, no doubt from the wound being infected. Her left eye was swollen shut and her upper lip was split open. She wasn't really concerned about herself. Her body would heal in its own time, whereas if Keelia were found, her heart would be scarred forever.

Mrs. Adams coughed loudly and the sound reverberated off the stone walls in the cellar. The room was damp and smelled of mildew and rat feces. It was dark with only a small gas lantern supplied for lighting. Mrs. Adams sure hoped that her youngest daughter was alright, for her two other children had been murdered at the hands of their own uncle. Mr. Adams had been executed right on the spot before Keelia and Mrs. Adams had even left the bedroom earlier that evening.

Mrs. Adams knew why all this was happening. She knew why her deceased husband's brother had killed his relatives. What she couldn't understand was why after all these years? Surely her brother in law had been thinking about this ever since Stella had married Stephen. Why start all this madness so suddenly?

Stella felt a tear slide down her cheek, leaving a wet smudge in its wake. Stephen was gone. He was her world, her very reason for existence. She had run away from her home just to stay in his arms for all her days. She gave up her previous life to start a new one with him. Now it was gone.

The sound of feet echoed through the hall leading up to Stella's cell. She knew who was coming to taunt her with his annoying and hateful voice. Stella heard him clear his throat and straighten out his well-tailored suit. She could almost see his smug grin now, his eyes that had been so full of joy but were now full of hatred and disdain.

Thomas rounded the corner and reached the entrance to Stella's cell. His suit was a gray one, not even that flattering on him, just a plain look. Stella had grown used to him wearing such brilliant clothing and now was facing something she did not recognize.

"My dear Stella," Thomas' voice echoed into the cell. "Are you comfortable?"

Stella knew that he only asked to taunt her some more. He didn't care about her comfort, at least that was what Stella thought. Thomas knew that he loved the woman before him. He had loved her ever since his dead brother introduced them. He knew that she was the only woman that could ever make him happy. Seeing her in the dusty and mildew scented cell, it was almost too much for him bear.

Her once beautiful gown was now in ruins from mud and various debris from the now burning mansion. Her curls were no longer situated on top of her fair head, but rather framed around her pale face. Thomas' heart was burning with desire, his want of holding her close to him was so strong, but he refused to give in until he had gotten the information that he wanted. He didn't like hurting his Stella, but there was no other way to get her to speak the truth. He would slowly have to break her until she gave in.

Stella turned away from the crazed man in front of her, "If you're here to beat me, you might as well begin. I am not one for small talk with my captor."

Thomas felt his hear sink at the disgust in her voice, but he didn't let his face show the impact of that statement. He unlocked the cell door and entered into the area. He went to her side and knelt down next to her.

"I am not here to beat you, at least not yet. It pains me to deliver such violence your way."

Stella scoffed, "I am sure it pains you so much." Her eyes full of menace.