Thomas sipped some more of his ale. "And why would I want to go off with two drunkards who'd get me lost? I don't think so."

Walter stepped forward this time to restrain a frustrated Jon from attempting to strike the older man. "We won't have you lost in those woods. I wouldn't subject any man to what happened to Frankie."

Thomas pretended to consider them for a moment. He already knew that he'd venture out into the forest with these men, but he didn't want to appear too eager. He was a gentleman that portrayed great poise and a certain air and manner with his every day activities. He had to let these two inferiors wait for his answer.

Thomas grinned, "et these two inferiors wait for his answer. great poise and a certain air and manner with his every day activiFine, I'll see what you have to show me." Then he placed a hand on Walter's shoulder. "We can come back here afterwards and have a round of ale on me, sound swell?"

The two men nodded eagerly, pulling Thomas out into the cold night air. The hoots of an owl could be heard in the distance, and then suddenly it would disappear. Thomas assumed it had found its late night snack consisting of some rodent.

"It's not too far in," stated Jon. "Frankie's body will mark the spot."

Thomas followed along, hands in his jacket pockets. The night air nipped at the tip of his nose, causing him to sneeze. He hoped that they would reveal whatever it was they knew soon, he didn't want to catch a cold.

The grass crunched under their feet, the fog could be seen from their breath. Walter sniffled and Jon's teeth were chattering. It was beginning to get quite cold out, considering that it was summer. Perhaps there was to be an early autumn this year. Either way, Thomas wished that Walter and Jon would hurry it up a tad.

"Here, this was where Frankie was killed by the mad man," Walter announced as they came upon a thick log. Walter was at first very confident with his finding the spot, but then his eyes grew wide. Frankie's body was gone.

"He was right here," Jon whispered to himself in disbelief. "We left him right here." His hand reached his mouth to cover his gobsmacked expression.

Thomas frowned, "It's time you boys tell me the truth." His arms crossed.

Walter and Jon glanced at each other. They weren't very old boys, mostly likely in their early twenties and just making themselves known to the world in an official way. Whatever the men did there, Thomas knew that it wasn't something they were willing to share.

"It's either you tell me the truth, or I shall make up a story in order to place you in the stockades." Thomas went to lean on a tree. "Believe me when I say that I'm not bluffing. Who would the authorities believe? A man of great stature in the town, such as myself, or two drunkards that burst into the pub slurring their words, such as you two."

Jon nodded and inhaled a deep breath, "Well, we saw this young lass, a beauty she was, and the three of us thought we'd have a little fun with her."

Thomas knew exactly what he meant by having a little fun. Those disgusting men, Thomas thought.

"Frankie was just about to take her, but then this mad man appeared out of nowhere and-" Jon whimpered so Walter had to finish the tale.

Thomas nodded, "What did this girl look like? I don't want her to be seen around town gossiping like women do about her two almost rapists."

"She had long red hair and eyes as green as the leaf next to your forehead," Walter pointed. "Her skin was like porcelain. But she was quite dirty. Probably a beggar wench. No one would believe her if she said anything."

Thomas thought about the possibility of the described girl to be his niece. He didn't want to jump to conclusions, but, there was a small possibility that it could be her.

"If what you're saying his true," began Thomas, "then that could have been my missing niece you described."

Walter and Jon glanced at each other, fear and worry deep within their eyes. "We beg your pardon, sir. If we would have known that she was family-"

Thomas held up a hand, "It doesn't matter who she is, you shouldn't do that to any girl at all. I could have you hanged for this." He raised his hand, as if to strike the two ingrates, but lowered it. "What did this man look like to you?"

Jon cleared his throat. "He looked like a beast. A mad creature whose only purpose is to destroy."

"He was most terrifying. His face was scared and his eyes glowed like lit candles," Walter added.

Thomas thought for a moment, then had his decision made. "Tomorrow, the two of you and myself will venture out into these woods and search for this beast. You never know, it may be holding my dear Keelia captive from me."

Thomas' grinned portrayed something else than concern for his brother's daughter, but rather blood lust. A freak show was always something that attracted the locals within the town of Abbey Way.

***

Stella wiped at her dirty face, the tears being the only means of cleansing the smudges. She prayed and hoped that Keelia was alright and that Thomas hadn't found her, or worse. Stella prayed that her daughter found some place safe to reside, and that her heart didn't ache too much. If she knew her daughter, she'd know that Keelia wouldn't show her distress, but would rather keep it inside, hidden away.

The sounds of footsteps sauntering down the cement stairs pulled Stella out of her thoughts and made her blood boil. The man had better just be done with all the abuse and kill her already. Stella wasn't going to say anything about where Keelia could possibly be, even she didn't really know. But there was a possibility that her daughter was with some familiar individuals.

The cell door creaked open, revealing a drunken man with his suit all wrinkled. Her usually slicked back hair was a shambles and his almost permanent smirk had disappeared from his lips, until his eyes met with Stella's.

"Good news, my dear," Thomas began, his words slurring. "I may have found where your daughter is hiding. Don't get your hopes up though; it is only just a hunch."

Stella's lips pressed, rage building up inside her, but she held it down. "Where?"

Thomas stumbled into the cell, falling to Stella's side and giggling like a little school boy. "In the woods to the east. Some men say that she ran off with a beast."

Stella's eyes went wide. "A beast?"

Thomas looked to his sweet heart, "Don't worry, dearie, I'll rescue her for you. And I'll have that beast's head."

Thomas removed himself as best her could fromthe cell and stumbled up the stairs, holding onto that previous giggle whileStella's mind was a stir of emotion. She sure hoped that he wouldn't find thecircus that was camped out there.