Expecting the Unexpected...

Start from the beginning

We had arrived at Mom and Sean's new house at London's outskirts. Sean had recently retired and they wanted to have an extravagant garden and a quieter life. For Christmas Eve they had summoned Mark and George, Scott's father. 

As we drove to their house, Scott had been excitedly squirming thinking of odd ways to break the news to everyone. I remember how he wanted to make them sweat and keep them intrigued over dinner. He wanted to let them know at the end of the night or something like that. 

When we got there Sean opened the champagne for a toast and was starting to fill the glasses when Scott burst out that we were pregnant making Sean spill the champagne and Mom drop the glass that she had just been served. Hugs were exchanged and everyone was so happy for us that our pregnancy became the talk of the night. 

Mark was gloating and had smugly slapped my husband's back telling him that he finally had kept his part of the deal. That he was starting to feel ripped off and was trying to think of ways to make us pay for our engagement. We both rolled our eyes at him. I did notice that his eyes gleamed mischievously; meaning that there was something that he wanted me to do for him. 

I wonder what he has on his mind...

It was obviously something that didn't keep me up from sleeping since we overslept again. 

The backup alarm clock we had settled preventing this exact situation started beeping bringing me back to present. Ever since Scott started to have morning sickness our mornings had turned out to be as this. We would run around the house trying to get ready since we only had less than a half hour to spare. I said we because as Scott was having pregnancy symptoms as me, I usually hurried everything since he had to leave early. I usually worked from home, so it wasn't a big deal for me if I had to get up early or not. 

Scott got up to take a shower while I walked downstairs to make breakfast. It was so weird...One minute I was absolutely sick to my stomach but as soon as it happened I felt completely relived and quite hungry. Still, there were a few things that I couldn't tolerate. Tomato was one of them. Their usual sweet and tart taste that I used to love so much would now make me feel awfully sick. Eggs, ham and sausages were another example.

Actually, my diet preferences were as slim as a toddler's. 

But I was absolutely blissful. 

I would touch my stomach almost every moment of the day feeling elated and amazed that a living creature was starting to form inside of me. 

Nature is such an amazing thing. 

We were having our first ultrasound today after lunch. We were so excited to see our baby for the first time!

 A part of me was still apprehensive that I might have this imaginary pregnancy and there would be no life inside of me. After waiting for so long, being pregnant still seemed far stretched. Even after morning sickness...

Scott picked me up on his grey mini cooper, my favorite car and we drove to the doctor's office. Her name was Melinda Thompson and she was absolutely great. She made me feel comfortable even after all of the test we had to take in the past. She had always been optimistic about the whole baby thing. To say that she was gloating with glee when she greeted us was an understatement. 

Her long blond hair was clipped to the back as usual and her friendly brown eyes were shining excitedly as she gestured me to lay on the black fancy kind of stretcher thing. I pulled my t-shirt up before feeling cold from the ultrasound gel as she applied it. She asked us a few things and explained to us that men having pregnancy symptoms was pretty common and that they were a sign of us being really close. I smiled at her words.