Big Brother, Little Sister // Ray, Maya, Kai & Nya

Start from the beginning

During lunch, Kai kept glaring at his little sister, who was being spoon fed by their mother. "Stoopid sista." He occasionally hissed.

While Ray cleared up the table after their meal, Maya took her daughter upstairs to change the girl and put her down for a nap. When he returned to family's main room, he found Kai lying on the floor on his tummy, colouring some pictures in his favourite colour.

"That's a very beautiful red dragon." Ray admired the picture. But then the tone in his voice changed. "Kai, that was not very nice of you." He told his son, sitting down next to him. "You little sister was very upset."

"Sista stoopid." Kai repeated. "Bwian say bwosa much better."

Ray sighed. Of course, his son's bad mood had to have something to do with Brian, the five-year old self proclaimed 'king of the kindergarten'. Unfortunately, Kai was one of the older boy's biggest fans and would listen to every word - no matter how 'stoopid' - Brians said.

"Why would he say that?" Ray asked. "Why is having a brother better than having an adorable little sister."

"Bwian's bwosa sho' him how to wide a bike." Kai explained, sitting up and snuggling against his father. "Ny-ny can't do that, she can't ev'n walk."

"Maybe that's because his brother is older than Brian?" The Master of Fire suggested.

"He's ten." Kai confirmed. "Big bwosa."

"That explains a lot. But do you know what is even better than having a big brother?"

"No." Kai shook his head and looked expectantly at his father.

"It's being a big brother." Ray said. "When Nya is about your age, you can help her learn how to ride her bike."

Kai's amber eyes lit up for a brief moment, before his expression turned somber again.

"But Ny-ny's a girl." He muttered. "Bwian say girls are bowing."

And Brian is an idiot. Ray thought. "Do you want me to tell you a story?" Kai nodded eagerly, assuming that his father had accepted his claim. But Ray had a plan.

"Once upon a time, there was a young blacksmith. His name was Ray."

"Like you, daddy."

"Yes, but this man was special. He could control the element of fire."

"Wow." Kai gasped. "I wanna do that too."

"And he wasn't the only one." Ray continued. "His friends had special powers as well. There was a Master of Earth, a Master of Form, Ice, Lightning, Water, and so on."

"Fiwa is the best."

"I know that, son." Ray smiled. "But everyone was an equally important member of their team."

"Team? What that?"

"A team is a group of friends who work together to reach a goal. And this team fought together against evil snakes and some other very bad guys to protect Ninjago."

"I gonna pway team wi' my fwiends."

"Yes, but in Ray's team, they weren't just boys, you know?"

"Bwian say girls can't fight."

"Oh, yes. They can." His father informed him. "One of the girls, the Master of Lightning, was probably the fastest person Ray had ever met - both on her feet and with her mouth. And then, there was the Master of Water. She was the most beautiful woman in all of Ninjago..."

"Mo' bootiful than mummy?"

"Just as beautiful as your mother. And not only that, she was also an amazing blacksmith and a very skilled warrior."

"Weally?"

"Yes, you should have seen her." The blacksmith sighed dreamily. "Elegant and fearsome at the same time. And then came one particularly fierce battle, where Ray was cornered by a couple of Anacondrai, and she was the one to save our hero's life."

"So... girls can fight." Kai concluded. "And Bwian is stoopid."

"Yes." Ray replied, not clarifying which of the statements he agreed with.

"You think Ny-ny can fight?" The boy asked. "She can be on my team."

"She's maybe still too small to fight, but I am sure she will be an amazing fighter when she is older." Ray said proudly. "Especially if she has a big brother to help her."

"That me." Kai boasted, standing up.

"Yes, that's you." His father confirmed. He quietly followed his son, as the boy climbed up the stairs and tiptoed into his sister's room. He stopped in front of he cot and looked at the fast asleep little girl, who was tightly clutching her blue dragon plushie.

"Sowwy, Ny-ny." Kai mumbled. "You not stoopid. An' when you older, I sho' you to wide a bike. An' to fight. Then you can be on my team, I pwomise."