0:00

'sometimes fate has a cruel sense of humor,
giving you the thing you always wanted
at the worst time possible'
- lisa kleypas

ella

I've always lived in awe of the stars.

I think they are what I love most about my life aboard the ark. Even now visions of them doting the sky fill me with warmth.

The cafeteria is teeming with an unspoken hostility today, making the large space feel much more claustrophobic than usual. I'd give anything to be back in my cell, even though it's the smaller of the two places us prisoners are able to inhabit. I'd rather be lounging on the high bunk, dazing out of the window at the top of the tall ceiling, losing myself in the wonders of space.

It's almost impossible for me to believe anyone would willingly go back to Earth. Poor, desolate, radioactive Earth. I much prefer seeing it out of my window.

Before I was arrested I heard talk among some of the other councilmen's children that they were planning to send someone down; someone to reassess the sustainability. I know it has to do with the oxygen depletion and yet my mind refuses to be thankful of a possible solution. It's like I want to scream hey there's a chance you won't die in a few years be happy but I can't.

Perhaps things have changed in the past five months, four days, and seven hours. Oxygen levels miraculously increased? Earth isn't survivable? Who knows. Certainly not me. My father hasn't come to visit in exactly twenty seven days. Not that he could tell me anything anyway.

Technically, no one besides the council is suppose to know about the oxygen crisis; but the next gen of leaders, including myself, have a way of putting our noses exactly where they don't belong.

One thing is for certain, I hope I'm not in this room when everyone finds out. My survival chances aren't low, but they aren't exactly guaranteed either.

"Ella." Murphy snaps his fingers in front of my face making me jump. "Earth to Ella."

"Hilarious." I glare as he snickers to himself.

"Oh, I'm sorry." He mocks sympathy with that smirk still etched into his features. "Did I interrupt your day planning. Whats on the agenda for today? Sit, sulk, eat, gag on the crap they gave us to eat, sulk some more-"

"Knock it off, Johnny." I roll my eyes, glancing across the room at the rest of my prison mates.

"He's visiting Ella, not missing." He reminds me sounding uninterested.

"Close enough."

"Elles!" Finn's voice breaks my worry for a moment. Before I know it his hand is on my wrist pulling me off the floor and over towards a dimly lit corner.

"Slow down. Not all of us are impervious to gravity, space walker." I complain as we come to a halt.

"Something's happening. Something big." He rushes out. "Raven said some higher up mechanics have been working in bay seven all week. It's the most secluded bay so they're obviously working on something they don't want anyone else to see. She also said she saw them taking huge boxes there this morning which she thinks were holding oxygen tanks."

"So..."

"So something is happening!" He says again flailing his arms.

"Are you sure Raven didn't give you a dozen energy bars while you were visiting today?" I ask noticing the way he can't seem to stand still.