"I'm so sorry," she whispers. "This is all my fault."

I open my mouth to speak, but the words stick in my throat, burning. I do, however, manage to shake my head at her. People need to stop blaming themselves. No one is at fault besides my attacker and Dwaine.

Two women rush into the room, one in a white doctor's coat and the other in light blue scrubs. Jo places a tender kiss to my forehead before stepping back, and it's then that I see him.

Alex sits in the far corner of the room, slouched in his seat with his long legs spread wide in front of himself. The sight of him, even while asleep, makes my heart lurch into my throat. His thick brows are furrowed, his chin nearly touching his chest as he sleeps.

"He hasn't left your side since they took you out of surgery," Jo whispers. "That's quite a dedicated boy you have here."

"Mabel?" The doctor steps forward with a tentative smile, coming to stand at my side. "I'm Dr. Ludwig. It's good to see you awake finally. Are you in any pain?"

I give her a questioning look, and raise a hand to touch my throat.

"Ah, yes. You were having some trouble breathing on your own at first so we had to place a tube down your throat. It might feel a bit scratchy for awhile. Any other pain?"

I shake my head, despite a dull throbbing I feel in my side. I'm worried that if they give me any more pain medication I'll fall back asleep, and I don't want that.

"We're going to have to call the police now that you're conscious," Dr. Ludwig explains. "They're going to want to talk to you about what happened."

Aunt Jo makes a disgruntled sound in the back of her throat. "She can't even talk yet, do you really think that's a good idea? This girl has been through—"

Dr. Ludwig raises a hand, cutting her off. "I'm sorry ma'am, I know that Mabel here has been through a lot, but they need to do their job just as I need to do mine."

"It's...okay," I say hoarsely, wincing slightly.

"Do you remember what happened to you, Mabel?" Dr. Ludwig asks softly.

I close my eyes as the memories flood back, and nod my head. "Y-yes."

"Okay, that's good. I'm going to go call down to the station. They should be here in about fifteen minutes." Dr. Ludwig turns on her heel and the nurse follows her out the door.

I open my eyes again slowly, letting out a shaky breath. "Auntie..."

"Yes, honey?" She hurries to my side, gently brushing her fingers against my own.

"Will you...do me a...favor?"

"Of course, sweetie. Anything."

"Will you call Hazel? Let her know I'm okay?" I pause to take a breath. "Maybe get me some...water too?"

"Not a problem. I'll be back as soon as I can."

I glance over at Alex's sleeping frame and shake my head at her. "It's okay, take your time."

She nods once in understanding, placing a quick kiss to my forehead before exiting the room.