Chapter 2: Silver Box

Start from the beginning

'Hey, don't pin that crap on me. You have no idea what I've been through.'

'Er, yes, yes I do. You don't think I haven't been scared as shit when I saw my dead older brother when I was a child? You don't think I was scared to see my first demon possess a friend? You don't think I'm not scared shitless when I actually see the spirit leave the physical body of someone who's just died? Don't you think I have one feck-off headache when I'm at any hospital, seeing dozens of people and knowing how they've died because they show me and make me feel their emotions? It's so god damn hard, Pen. I get it. I get that you are scared, but the fact of the matter is that you do possess the ability to speak to those who have died and though there are some bad aspects to it, the reward to see someone's relief that their loved one isn't in any pain anymore, or didn't feel any pain when they died and are happy; to see that emotion is worth it. All I wanted to do was to help the dead. It's them who need a voice and I elect to be it for them. But Pen, you need to know one thing. You are either in or out when it comes to this type of ordained job.'

'Huh,' she snorted. 'You think it's ordained?'

'I've come to think it is, yes.'

'Load of crap.'

'Then how do you explain it?' I pulled my arm away from her.

She shrugged. 'I... don't know. I wish I knew how. But, I just wish that I could do it part-time. It's awful going to the supermarket and hearing a young woman scream for help in the car park. I can't see her, I can only hear her, but I don't want to hear her. I... I don't want to hear the bad things.'

That irritated me. 'You can't go in half-arsed because then you will be in trouble. The dead know when you are weak; they pray on it. And they'll prey on you because you fail to recognise them.' Penny was horrified. 'Penny, I know you think it's easy to switch this off... but there's only really one way to do it, and if you do, there's no turning back.'

'No, I know, but I don't really want to go through with it because there are so many memories that connect us.' She bit her lip. 'I know the consequences. I'm just confused as to what to do.'

I bent down and kissed her on the forehead. 'I'm sorry I got you involved in all of this. If I go to Northumberland, please don't come up with me. I don't know what I'd do if something happened to you.'

She groaned. 'No, you should go. I really do think you should. It's not like you'll be gone long. And hey, if you are anxious that I'm going to be alone, I've asked Holly to come over and stay with me while you're away.'

'You did what?'

Penny shrugged. 'Your aunt June said it was fine as long as you met her at the airport. Holly is thrilled. I think she likes England.'

I had to find the positive in all this. 'Well, I guess while she's here, she can check out Oxford for a college. She'll be starting college next year.'

Penny rolled her eyes. 'I'd wish you'd call it university. You do confuse me. Besides, what is her interest in studies?'

'Er, I think it's history.' I struggled to remember.

'Well, it can't be American history,' she said in a snide manner, 'there's not a lot of history you've got over there.'

'Hey, ouch!' I bit back. 'We've got tonnes of history, thanks.'

'Hmm, well, you let me know where there's a set of standing stones thousands of years old, or a thousand-year-old pub, or castles with moats, Roman baths, Norman churches-'

'Yeah, yeah, I get your point.' I went out into the hallway and picked up the post. Water bill. Electricity bill. A magazine for clothes. Pizza flyer. Nope, nothing interesting.