Chapter 21

"How is driving up a mountain experimenting with hell?" I asked, turning to my side and casting Grey a sideways glance. Grey merely smirked, clenching his jaw ever so slightly and readjusting his grip on the steering wheel.

"Impatient now, are we? I clearly seem to remember you being nervous about this little adventure," Grey replied in his velvety voice, his eyes flicking back and forth between mine.

"I don't like surprises, and I can tell, you're trying to surprise me," I frowned, turning my shoulder towards him and watching the towering pines pass by. Fog drifted in and out of the trees like a living blanket, moving ever so slowly in hopes of covering every inch of ground possible.

"I'm going to warm you up to this whole Hell thing. Going straight from Heaven to Hell tends to give people whiplash," he replied coolly as the incline of the road we were traveling on increased. I was plastered back against my seat as he swerved around the winding mountain roads, each turn placing us closer to the edge of the one-way road. But Grey seemed calm and collected like he'd driven this road his whole life. For all I'd known, he could've. He'd been alive long before roads were a thing.

"How am I supposed to experience this whole Fallen angel, pledge my soul to Hell thing, if you won't let me?" I folded my arms and Grey chuckled softly, a deep, throaty sound that sent a chill down my spine.

"I should've known it wouldn't be this easy," he hummed, the car slowing to a steady halt as the road ended abruptly at the top of the mountain. There weren't many mountains you could drive up in Washington, and I'd driven up most of them with my parents, but I'd never been up here before. We got out of the car and I wrapped my arms around my body as I looked around.

Surprisingly the top of this mountain was flat, about the size of half a football field. There was a little cobblestone wall encircling the area, as if a 2 ft wall would prevent people from climbing over the edge. The view up here was amazing. The low clouds drifted below us through the dips and curves of the foothills and mountains, only revealing the tops of the pine trees. The air was refreshing, and above all the clouds, there was no breeze. It was dead silent, aside from the occasional breath or crunch of gravel underneath Grey's shoes. It was serene. It was beautiful.

How exactly was this supposed to be Hell? This seemed like Heaven to me.

I walked over to the wall, peering down over the side of the mountain. It was a sheer cliff to this side, dropping around a thousand feet at a 90-degree angle before curving outwards into the foothills beneath us.

"I don't understand," I turned to face Grey, a scowl creasing between my eyebrows. The corner of his lips tugged upwards in a sly smirk as if he knew I wouldn't.

"Are you ready to?" He asked, taking one step towards me, a twinkle apparent in his cerulean eyes.

This was so not good. He was going to push me off the cliff.

"Grey, I've changed my mind, I really don't think-"

The air escaped my lungs as Grey lunged toward me, wrapping an arm around my waist as he pulled us over the edge.

I wanted to scream, but the wind whipping past us as we fell made it impossible.

Grey had a death wish, for both of us, it seemed.

I peeled my eyes open against the force of the air rushing past my face, my heart pounding in my chest as the ground grew nearer and nearer.

What was he doing?

If he had planned on remaining in a non-pancaked state, then he should've spread his wings already.

This was so not good.