Chapter 20

"Why exactly, did you choose to take this class?" Grey raised a coy eyebrow at me, leaning back nonchalantly in his chair as students filed into the lecture hall. Professor Turner wasn't here yet, so the room was loud with a constant rumble of chatter.

"Because I'm pre-med, Grey. It's a requirement," I replied in a rather irritated tone as I flipped open my binder, turning to the last page of notes I'd taken.

"So, I should probably copy off of you for the tests, then?" He smirked deviously, a twinkle apparent in his eyes.

"I didn't realize you were even going to take the tests, seeing as you're only enrolled here to try to get me to join the dark side," I retorted, tapping my pen anxiously against my notebook paper. I wanted Turner to get here already, anything to get Grey to stop talking. He was annoying. Annoyingly charming. I mentally slapped myself for that last bit. He wasn't charming. Just annoying.

"Star Wars reference, really? I didn't take you for a geek, Greene," Grey chuckled, his smirk growing into that crooked smile.

"I'd really wish you'd stop making assumptions about me. You didn't take me for a sorority girl either. Or someone who could keep up with your superhuman pace when you run," I sighed in relief as Turner strode cheerfully through the doors, practically skipping over to her desk and laptop. Seriously. How was this lady so happy?

"Hello, my lovely students. No partying this weekend, I'm assuming?" Turner boomed and the class groaned audibly, earning a chuckle from her, which I'm sure she full-heartedly believed was in her favor. "That is what I like to hear. I hope you all realize that by not partying, you are setting yourself up for a better career in the future, and a more successful college career as well. Focusing on your studies- now that's a party in of itself, am I right?"

Another incomprehensible groan from the class, which the delusional Professor Turner translated as unanimous agreement.

I shivered as I felt a breath fan the side of my neck, the squeak of a chair rolling ever closer to mine. "You're full of surprises, mea bellator," Grey breathed softly against my ear, chills racing down my spine. I hated it when he did that. It's like he would whisper in my ear just to see what sort of reaction my body had to his proximity. It was annoying. How was I supposed to suppress the slightest bit of feelings I had for Grey if I couldn't even suppress my body's reaction to him?

Turner cleared her throat, my eyelids shooting open before I had even realized they'd begun to close. Grey leaned back in his seat, proud of himself for disrupting class yet again. Turner was never going to be able to finish a lesson with Grey here. Not only did almost every female find him especially entertaining, but it seemed some of the guys did too. All in all, Grey had probably attracted 75% of the class's attention by merely existing.

"Am I interrupting something, Grey?" Turner folded her arms sternly, making a point to say 'Grey' instead of 'Mr. Grey', as that had resulted in a not so pleasant experience the last time.

"You always are, Melody, but it's fine, I don't mind," Grey shot her a smirk and a wink, mirroring her and folding his arms across his chest. I covered my eyes with my hand, wondering why I had to sit next to him and associate myself with him. I guess I understood that he's following me to some of my classes to protect me from the demons that I haven't learned to fight off yet, but still. Did his presence have to be so... noticeable?

"That's Dr. Turner to you," Turner retorted with a defiant upwards tilt of her chin, as if standing up to a misbehaving student would earn her some street cred. Poor lady- she had no chance against a guy like Grey. If only she knew she was facing off with a Fallen Angel, maybe she'd pick her battles more wisely.