“A guard is waiting outside to take us to The Great Mother.” He said and let out a long breath. “We’re being called in for a—“

“I know,” I spoke softly, no longer finding voice with which to speak, or air with which to breathe.

Breaths were needed to speak, and long minutes later, I still could not find one, and so I didn’t say a word the whole way there. Lost in a tunnel of thoughts--thoughts of Ivan, of Kheelan, of Maris, of war and all the innocent lives to be lost…  I just couldn't.

The headquarters was surrounded by a formidable gate. Guards patrolled the outer grounds, some fixed, and others walking along the log gate. They were the epitome of strength, but traces of unease saturated their movements, as if a thin sheet of perspiration.  It lingered above the entire town. Where the day before the streets were filled with families unencumbered by the concerns of the world, the streets were now empty. We were admitted into the gates and into the building with no trouble thanks to our escort.  Once inside, we were led into a conference room of sorts, an open space where a long table stretched the length of the chamber. No one was sitting, but rather Fae and human alike were gathered around the table. Stained glass windows sent contrasting rainbows across the room, bathing it in a soothing spectrum, the kind I'd only find at church so many years ago. Only here, I found no peace. 

As soon as I stepped inside, conversation withered into harmonious murmurs. Eyes evaluated me, the stranger in their midst. As hurt as I was by him, I was glad Kheelan was there. When he placed a hand on my shoulder, the tension slackened, only a slight. They respected him, and thus slowly conversation resumed, even if only slightly and forced.

“These are the Resistance leaders from all the provinces,” Kheelan explained. “You’re safe here.”

I fought the urge to scoff. How many times had I heard that before, from him. I moved away from Kheelan quickly, hugging myself against the feel of him, against the antagonism in the room. I wasn’t safe. Not in that room. Not with him, especially noting the Great Mother was not there, neither was Elena. I didn’t like it. 

Large doors at the far end of the room creaked open and the room silenced instantly. When they parted fully and the Great Mother strode through, it all fell into deeper levels of silence. A discomforting silence that left my throat dry. I could see the effects of war already on her skin. It was a mask of wanting to be strong, yet fear of the unknown underscored every movement. Her eyes were pooled with sadness, and I knew she felt the end coming as well.

She stopped at the head of the table. “If everyone will please take their seats,” she said just above a whisper. Any louder and it would have been too loud in the deafening silence.

The gathered crowds dissipated, everyone taking their assigned seats. The Great Mother met my eyes then. Her mouth curved just slightly into something of a smile as she gestured to two seats at either side of her. There were four seats available in all, but she motioned to two at either side of the table. Kheelan and I walked to the foot of the table and parted ways, he to the left and me to the right. Reaching my seat felt like an eternity. I could feel eyes dissecting every inch of me in passing. Once at my seat, the Great Mother sat down, and the rest followed. Uneasily I slid into my seat. I wished I could have sat further away, where the attention wasn’t so prominent.

“It is no secret why we are here,” she said in even tones. “We were all witnesses to the veil slipping just a few nights ago… We can no longer deny it. The time of war is upon us. A war we cannot afford to lose, or else we fail ourselves and our human brothers on the other side of the veil. Word has come from a reliable source that Tarshish is at war, and at this very moment, both Seelie and Unseelie armies move toward Gri’ah. Our informant will be here shortly. He endured a long and perilous journey and needed some time to recover. In the meantime, riders have been sent out to warn the townsfolk.”