Chapter Fourteen

"What?" I couldn't have heard Taylor right.
"Let's just give up, Reed. Let's face it. We're not gonna live. You're basically dying!"
"Yeah but you're supposed to tell me to keep going! You're supposed to give me reasons why we can survive!" I stopped, realizing I was screaming and caught my breath.
Her blue eyes seemed lifeless and I realized she was in a worse condition than me. How had I not realized? She had lost her very best friend and then everyone she knew. Now she had to care for a weak useless boy that was dying.
"I'm sorry," I grabbed her hand, "Let's go. Hayville College? No, that's wrong."
She smirked, "Hayven. You should know that. See that tower?" She pointed into the sky at the only building still standing, "We have to get there. Probably in a day if you wanna live."
"Wait," I squinted my eyebrows in thought, "When I get back- if I get back, how am I going to stop this?" I motioned all around us, indicating the apocalypse.
"Oh," Taylor continued waking as she thought, "Ok, so we'll set the time machine at the college to 3087 and the destination to Washington DC and you'll make them not use the nuke. You can figure out how."
I nodded, pretending I understood but truthfully I didn't even know that time machines had the ability to select a destination.
I heard rustling behind us. I whipped around, wincing at my sudden intake of air. I scanned around for any movement. I spotted a flyer drifting through the air. Missing, a cheery eyed girl, around 7 smiled in the picture. Another flyer flew off, smacking me in the face, Missing.
As yet another flyer ripped off its post and drifted into the air I spotted the source of all the papers. A huge wall, 3 times taller than me rose up from the ground. It went on about the length of a house.
Every inch was filled up. Filled up with Missing papers. "All of these kids went missing?" My voice was weak, my heart was broken.
Taylor silently nodded, she tugged me along. "Let's not get distracted."
I turned away, eager to try and forget the evidence of heartbreak and broken families. Taylor's eyes lingered on a young boy. His blue eyes sparkled, spreading the slightest bit of joy into me. The boy's blonde hair spread out every which way. The kid seemed perfect, except a bright red scar seared his face. It ran along from his eye all the way to his mouth.
Who could have hurt such a friendly little kid? I thought.
"Let's go." Taylor's voice was blank. Her eyes showed nothing. "Forget about them, you can save them."