Chapter Seven

Distant footsteps led me into a deep sleep. Light flooded around me and I realized I must be dreaming.
"Hey, Reed." My brother's voice echoed behind me.
I turned around, Alex stood in front of me, I was almost as tall as him now. Looking at him made me feel like I was looking in the mirror, his messy brown hair fell to one side, a scar cut through the side of his face, making me wince as I remembered how he had acquired it. Alex's intent brown eyes stared at me, reminding me that he wasn't my actual brother, but how could we look so alike? I thought, thinking of the only difference between our looks, my green eyes.
"Reed, snap out of it." He said, waving his hand in front of my face. "Honestly Reed how did you get yourself into this situation?" Pure sadness linked his words, bringing even more worry to my mind.
"Be careful." He said as he began to fade away, "be careful who you trust." And he was gone.
Around me a faint light shone from a crack in the ceiling. Taylor was slumped against the corner, a plank of wood was loose in her hand as she slept. Jason was propped against the opposite wall snoring softly. He was obviously as far away from Taylor as possible after what had happened.
Suddenly a thought occurred in my mind, where could the light be coming from? The light from the ceiling was bright white with a tint of blue, definitely not from the sun. As quietly as I could I got up and carefully tip-toed to the hallway.
My eyes strained to see in the sudden darkness, finally as they adjusted I made out a broken corner in the ceiling. I ripped away as much wood as I could and reached my arms up into the dark room.
I launched myself up but I never got far enough. I tumbled back down held my breath, listening for any indications that I had woken my companions up, nothing. I picked myself up and found a grip above me. C'mon, Reed you can do this, I thought, you only have one more try until someone wakes up. I pushed down on my feet and jumped up, positioning myself so that my chest was over the side. At last I made it.
Light streaked in from the nearby room, slowly I stepped over the broken remains of parts of the ceiling. A metal door clung to the wall, slowly I pulled it open, light streamed through. Sitting on a desk was an old computer. On the screen a letter was written.
Dear Aaron Sabavo,
My friend, I hoped the day would not come where you would be reading this. Alas, it has happened. All hope is lost once I have been infected. Aaron, I know the cure to survive you must never-
As I skimmed across the last sentence something hard crashed down on my head, leaving me lying on the floor as I faded out of consciousness.