Chapter 4:The Giant

When I open my eyes, all I see are the curlicue designs of the ceiling. My head hurts. I sit up from the wooden floor and rub the back of my head. I must have passed out.

“So you’re awake,” says the gigantic man sitting across from me on the couch. “Don’t faint on me again; I’m not here to hurt you, unless you force me to.”

“Who are you? What are you doing here?”

“It doesn’t matter who I am. Call me Hadrig. Mr. Nein sent me to pick you up.”

That’s it then. They traced my login and now they know that I’ve discovered their little secret society.

“Am I in trouble?” Why can’t I get my voice back to normal?

“I’m just here to drive you. Get up. Let’s go.”

“Wait, but where are we going?”

“Mr. Nein wants me to bring you to HQ.”

“Because I found out about his evil plot? I won’t tell anyone. He’s my dad! Why would I want him to get arrested?”

“Let me tell you something. No one cares what you want. The fact is you finally know about the Death Catchers and if you want to live past this hour, you’d better come quietly with me. Now.”

The giant drags me up by my arms, and then leads me to the elevator. Standing beside him like this, it’s clear that he must be at least seven feet tall. Holy crap.

What do I do now? I could try to escape and get away, but I really doubt my chances of outrunning this guy. And where would I go? My dad could cancel my credit cards, drain my bank accounts. He could probably find me wherever I go. He wouldn’t hurt me anyway, would he?

“Is my dad really pissed off?” I ask Hadrig.

He looks down at me and smiles, revealing a really disgusting set of rotting teeth. Gross. I take a small step back.

“He ain’t happy. I can tell you that.”

But he won’t hurt me. Okay, he might hurt me, but I’ll survive. Maybe.

Sometimes, just sometimes, I really hate my dad.