Chapter 3: Secret Society

I’m chilling back at my condo, eating vegetable samosas and watching an episode of Cribs. A man needs alone time to remind him of the important things in life.

My iPhone chimes with an incoming text. Unknown number again?

www.dafk.net/what/. Login DCGlobalD. Password pwndth15154j0k3

I resign myself to my “legacy” and type in the URL on Google, then log-in when prompted. A very professional-looking website loads on my screen. What the hell is this?

Death Catchers. Principles. History. Organization Structure. Contact Info.

I click random tabs on the site, trying to find out more about what I’ve stumbled on. One page catches my eye:

Project XIX: Cloud 9. Global Takeover Campaign. Project Leader: Gabriel Nein.

My heart skips a beat at the sight of my dad’s name. What the fuck? Now I’m really intrigued. I skim the page, trying to make sense of what this is about. I’m a little confused by the lingo and code names they keep using all over the place. From what I can guess, it looks like…my dad is leading some nefarious plot to take over the planet!

Then I find out something else that changes my world forever:

By the end of project timeline, optimum world population of 1 Billion should be achieved. Project Leader will hold position of LFW and await further instructions from Death Catchers Executive Council.

I don’t really understand most of what I’ve just read, but one thing seems clear: a lot of people are going to die. I quickly move to another website, clear my browser history, and shut down my laptop. I don’t know if this is someone’s idea of a really twisted prank, but I’m going to pretend I didn’t see that.

My elevator door chimes. I’m not expecting anyone to arrive at this late hour. Refusing to give in to paranoia, I grab my phone and slowly edge my way to the suite entrance.

“Hello?” I can hear the quaver in my own voice. Shit, man up. I walk faster, confidently making my way to the elevators. And then I stop dead in my tracks. In front of me is the most humongous guy I’ve ever seen.

 I try to speak, but what escapes my mouth resembles the bone-chilling scratch of a nail against a chalkboard. Dark shadows swoop in from all sides to attack me, and then I’m no more.