Sit Still, Look Pretty

Jane's POV

I walked with my parents, out in the city. My parents were shopping for clothes for me, and I was sulkily walking with them. I'd been super down ever since I talked with Eddie that morning.

*flashback to that morning*

*ring*
*ring*

"Hello?"
"Hi Eddie. It's Jane."
"Jane?! What are you doing? You know my mom would freak if she found out I was talking to you. Lucky you, she's asleep right now."
"I know, I'm sorry. I just needed to hear your voice. I miss you Eds."
"I miss you too Jane, gosh more than you could imagine. Have you talked to any of the others?"
"Bill, Bev. I went to Stan's Bar Mitzvah."
"Have you talked to Richie?"
"......yes, but it wasn't a very happy conversation."
"Why not? You two are so close."
"He, um said some really awful things about me after you left. It was terrible, everyone was yelling and fighting....and it was all my fault, especially your arm, I'm so sorry Eds."
"It was not your fault. I saw that....thing....and I couldn't help but faint. It's not your fault. And neither was the fight. The others are just idiots."
"I miss you Eddie. It was nice talking to you."
"I miss you too Jane. I love you."
"I love you too. Bye Eddie."
"Bye Jane."

*flashback ovahhhh*

Stupid Mrs. Kaspbrak. Can barely talk to my best friend.
Stupid parents.
Stupid adults.
Stupid stupid stupid.
"Jane?"
I snapped out of my thoughts, turning to see who was calling behind me. It was Bill.
"Hey Big Bill, what's wrong? You look upset." I said, reading his face.
"It's b-b-Beverly. She and I w-were supposed to meet up, b-but she never came."
My eyes widened.
"Let's go check her apartment. If she's not there, then we'll go to Neibolt." I instructed. He nodded.
"You most certainly will not."
I turned. My parents were glaring at Bill and I.
"Mother, you don't understand-" I started.
"No, you don't understand. We are buying you makeup and clothes and we are going home. You will not be talking to this boy anymore Jane." My dad growled. I frowned.
"No."
His glare intensified.
"What?!" He asked me. I crossed my arms and stood my ground.
"I said no. I'm done being your little play toy. No more makeup, no more dress code, no more beatings and no more lies. I didn't force myself onto Henry, dad. Henry tried to rape me." I yelled. Everyone around me stopped. Bill gasped. From the corner of my eye, I could see Richie, about to go into the arcade. His face was red and his jaw had dropped, but I was more interested in his hands. They were clenched into fists.
Why is he so angry?
"What?! That's ridiculous-" my father shouted.
"No! What's ridiculous is that I can't have any friends, that I get beaten black and blue for being home late, that I can't even tell you the truth because you won't believe me! I'm done hiding in the shadows, Henry Bowers tried to rape me and that's the solid truth. I even have proof if you need it." I yelled, tears in my eyes.
"HOW DARE YOU- DO NOT YELL AT ME I AM YOUR FATHER-"
"AND I AM YOUR DAUGHTER!" I spat back. "I should be treated as such! You don't even call me your daughter unless you're yelling at me! I don't want to live like this Dad! I wanna talk to you, hug you, have a relationship with you! Like we did before mom left." I choked down sobs. His face softened when I mentioned my mother.
"Do not talk to your father that way young lady. You are going to marry a wealthy man and become a doctor. Just like we told you." My stepmother said.
"No, I'm gonna marry who I love, even if he is dirt poor. And I'm gonna be a singer, the best singer the world ever heard. Just like mom was." I said.

"Could dress up, to get love,
Well guess what, I'm never gonna be that girl, who's living in a Barbie world
Could wake up, in makeup
And play dumb
Pretending that I need a boy
Who's gonna treat me like a toy

And all the other girlies gonna wear expensive things
Like diamond rings
But I don't wanna be a puppet that your playing on a string
This queen don't need a king
Oh I don't know what you've been told
But this gal right here's gonna rule the world
And that is where I'm gonna be
Because I wanna be
No I don't wanna sit still, look pretty
You get off on your nine-to-five dreams
Of picket fences and trophy wives
But that's not where I'm gonna be
Cuz I don't wanna be
No I don't wanna sit still, look pretty."

(Sit still, look pretty by Daya)
I held back my tears and turned to Bill.
"C'mon Bill. Let's find her."
And with that, Bill and I climbed on his bike and sped off, leaving my parents dumbfounded on the street.

Richie's POV

I stood, shocked at what had just happened. Jane and Bill whizzed past me.
He tried to rape her?
HE TriEd tO RAPE HeR?
HE TRIED TO WHAT NOW?
I paced, unsure of what to do. What I really wanted to do was punch Henry Bowers lights out, to push him off the edge of a cliff. Instead I walked inside the arcade and started playing street fighter.
How dare he
How dare her parents treat her like that
Stupid Bowers
Stupid parents
Stupid......Bill
Punched me
Took me into Neibolt
Walked right by Jane and tried to follow that fucking clown
And yet, she hangs out with HIM?!
Why?
Am I not good enough?