New Friends, New Problems

Jane's POV

I hummed happily, walking up the steps to my favorite place in Derry. The library. I'd read just about every book they had, but I continued to go, re-reading books I knew oh so well.
"Back again miss Ripsom?" The librarian smiled.
"I'm afraid you can't get rid of me." I replied. She beckoned my over with her hand. I ran up to her and she leaned down to my ear.
"There's a boy over there who doesn't seem to have any friends. Would you go try and talk to him?" She whispered. I nodded and headed over to him. He was average sized, meaning taller than me. He was a little on the heavy side, but that didn't matter to me. I walked beside him and pointed to the seat next to him.
"Do you mind?" I asked. He shook his head.
"I'm Jane by the way. Jane Ripsom." I smiled and held out my hand. He took it and returned the smile.
"Ben. Ben Hanscom."
I looked over at the book he was reading. It was a book full of articles on Derry's history.
"Into history?" I asked, nodding at the book. He nodded.
"It's really interesting. I'm new to Derry, so I'm learning as much about it as possible." I smiled.
"Well Ben Hanscom, if you'd like I can be your first friend. Not that you don't already have friends! I just assumed that since you were new-"
"It's okay, it's okay. I'd love for you to be my first friend." He smiled. I grinned. We read in silence for a while, not awkward silence but, a comfortable silence. I checked my watch, it was twelve thirty. I stood, grabbing my bag and book.
"Well, it's lunchtime for me. Wanna join me?" I asked. He shook his head.
"No thanks. I think I'll just stay here and read. But I'd like to hang out some other time, if that's alright."
I smiled. "I'd love that, Ben Hanscom."
"Bye Jane Ripsom."
"Bye Ben Hanscom."

*time skip to after lunch*

I headed down the forest, on my way to the Barrens. The losers gang often hung out down there. We were away from the rest of the world, occupied with our own little world. I saw the four boys up ahead, about to head in.
"Hey! Hey guys wait up!" I shouted.
"Hey look who decided to show up!" Richie called. I flipped him off.
"Beep beep Richie. Hi Stan, hiya Eddie."
"Hey Jane." They both said in unison. I headed over to Bill, giving him a small hug.
"Hey Big Bill. So is this the entrance?" I asked. He nodded. I grimaced.
"Well, let's get to it then." I said, following him in.
"That's poison ivy. And that's poison ivy, and that's poison ivy." Stan said, pointing at a few different plants.
"Where? W-where's the poison ivy?" Eddie asked.
"Nowhere! Not every fucking plant is poison ivy Stanley!" Richie replied, catching up to Bill and I.
"Okay, well I'm starting to get itchy, now, and I'm pretty sure this is not good for my-"
"Do you share the same bathroom as your mother?" Richie interrupted.
"Sometimes, yeah."
"Then you probably have crabs."
I giggled softly, soft enough that only Richie heard. He turned and smiled to me.
"That's so not funny." Eddie remarked. Richie and I turned to see that Eddie and Stan were standing just outside the entrance.
"Aren't you guys coming in?" Richie asked. Eddie shook his head.
"Nu-uh. It's grey water."
"What the hells grey water?" Richie said, clearly exasperated.
"It's basically....piss and shit! So I'm just telling you! You guys are splashing around in millions of gallons of Derry pee." Eddie yelled. Richie leaned down and picked up a stick, pulling it up and sniffing it.
"So...What?! What are you serious right now?!" Eddie exclaimed.
"It doesn't smell like caca to me, señor." Richie said in a Spanish accent. I burst out laughing.
"Ok I can smell that from here!" Eddie replied.
"It's probably just your breath wafting back into your face." Richie said. I laughed harder. Eddie glared at me.
"Oh come on Eddie lighten up. Oh gross! No get it away!" I screeched as Richie tried to poke me with the stick.
"Have you ever heard of a staph infection?!" Eddie yelled.
"Oh I'll show you a staph infection!" Richie replied. Stan rolled his eyes. I clutched my sides, still laughing.
"Ok this is so unsanitary, your literally-this is literally like swimming in a toilet bowl right now. I mean have you ever heard of Listeria?" Eddie argued. Richie picked up a piece of trash with his stick and tossed it at Eddie. I smacked him on the arm, trying to reprimand him and trying to control my laughter.
"NO!" Eddie shouted, backing away. "Are you retarded?! Your the reason that we're in this position right now cuz your-"
"Guys!" Bill yelled, cutting off Eddie. We all turned to see him, he was holding a shoe in one hand and his flashlight in the other. I stood still.
I know that shoe.
"Shit don't tell me that's...." Stan whimpered.
"G-g-Georgie wore galoshes." Bill answered. Richie walked up to Bill, grabbing the shoe.
"Who's sneaker is it?" Eddie asked.
Please, no
Richie looked up at me.

"It's Betty Ripsoms."