• 8 •

"You seriously need to start taking care of yourself," I hear Adara say gruffly. I turn my attention to her and sigh.

"I know. I wish I could. I'm just so depressed. Nothing in my life is interesting anymore," I say.

"It may seem that way because you've lost Joey but... he's not gone fully. Maybe you were the only girl he's slept with in a long time," Adara replies, beginning to clean up my mess.

"Maybe," I mumble, but I know the truth. Joey has changed.

It's quiet for a moment as we both look around at the mess I've made this week. Empty soda cans, dirty plates and dirty clothes are everywhere.

"Can you help me clean this?" I blurt out.

"Yes!" Adara answers almost immediately.

Adara begins working on the kitchen and living room while I work on myself. I take a long shower, which feels good after a long time with no bathe. I relieve my skin from the layers of unclean makeup and wash and shave my body like I was a chicken ready for roasting.

Once I finish that, I dress in clean clothes for the first time in what feels like forever and begin to clean the bathroom. Then I clean my room. By the time I'm finished, Adara has even done the laundry for me.

I hug her. "You're the truest friend I've ever had, Adara."

"You too, bud," she replies, and we walk together down on the town.

We walk for a while, and on the way we chat about many things.

"We should get you a boyfriend," Adara says, wiggling her eyebrows and nudging me.

"No way!" I practically yell, causing strangers to stare. We don't mind, though. We're used to people staring.

"You need someone, Hanna. You aren't the same. You haven't been since... since the incident," Adara says, and I know what she's referring to.

Ninth grade.

Joey. Charles.

I close my eyes and when I open them, we're crossing the street to go to the mall. I needed a girl's day out.

Then suddenly, I see it. Right before the mall, on the corner of the street. There it is.

A baker's shop.

Memories flooded my brain of the coffee shop. I immediately knew this was the place. This was where I could change for the better.

"I want to work there," I blurt out to Adara, and she sees where I'm looking.

"Then let's apply," she adds, and we walk over to the baker's shop.

Adara already has a job. So this was just me applying. They didn't even ask for my resume or anything. I gave the manager my number, and they said they'd call me to let me know.

I walked out of the little store with my hopes up high. I loved working, especially in environments that I was used to, and especially when I'm doing things I know how to do.

Once Adara and I showed up to the apartment, I began washing my clothes while Adara put a pizza in the oven to bake. We learned, courtesy of Adara's mother. She was an amazing chef.

I dozed off that night, with only the thoughts of the warm bread cooking in the baker's shop, and, for the first time in a long time, a smile on my face.

----

a/n

ahhhh when will joey show up?

keep reading to find out ;)

-Chloe xxx