"I've never seen you here, was the last meal not to your liking?" He got over his surprised look, and I wondered if I just looked like someone who didn't talk. Unzipping my jacket I handed him a folder with my resume in it, not able to say anything just yet. He looked it over and smiled. "Well this is fucking awesome, right this way! I'll have Uncle come out and talk to you shortly." He led me to the counter by the register, pulling out a black leather stool for me to sit on then disappeared into the back. I sat, breathing deeply, clasping a hand to the back of my neck so my palm and fingers could dig into the tense muscles on either side of my spinal cord. Inhale through nose, hold...two...three...exhale slowly.... I kept up the exercise until voice brought me out of my head. I'd lost awareness of my surroundings. That wasn't a good thing, ever.

"Tree climbing buddy!" The voice was cheerful, making my lips twitch as I looked up into chocolate brown eyes that sparkled and swirled with happiness. "What brings you to my Uncles diner?" I shrugged, opening my mouth to speak and almost choking as my throat closed up, my voice refusing to work. I coughed a few times, and tried again, but couldn't. He waited patiently, then turned and grabbed a glass off the back counter and filled it with water at the dispenser before sliding it across to me, leaning on the counter and propping his chin in his hands.

"I-I...." I coughed again, swallowing the water. He was my coworker, I'd have to talk to him. It wasn't a choice. But he knew sign language.... I closed my eyes, holding my breath for a beat and searching for the professional in my. I felt it click, my throat loosening, my face going blank then a cool smile gracing my lips. "I'm looking for work. I've recently found myself short on hours and am asking around. I already handed in my resume and am waiting to speak to someone." Lucian looked a little surprised by me, and I felt my mask falter, but I held strong.

"Damn she's better than fucking Blackbourne!" The Vibrant Boy exclaimed, coming into view with an older gentlemen in his fifties.

"No need for the professional front here Cupcake, we're all friends, right?" Chocolate eyes begged me to understand, and the touch of hurt there said my cold demeanor wasn't to his liking. For the millionth time, I cursed my mother, hating that she'd taken my voice from me. I wanted to be the girl in the tree all the time, the girl who could run and skip and jump to her hearts content without fear of repercussions. But I couldn't do that. I was to damaged, the psychological block on my voice preventing me. "Uncle knows sign language too if that helps." I looked to the older man, assessing him. He was a couple inches taller than Lucian, so just over a head taller than me. His skin was leathery and weathered, a bandanna tied over his head. Broad shoulders and a slight belly but a muscular build greeted me as I skimmed the rest of him, but his eyes drew me in. They were kind, laughing eyes that made something inside me be at ease, and I knew he'd listen if I talked.

"Hey there little bird, Gabriel here says your looking for a job and Luke here seems to know you." I nodded, not trusting my voice. My mask had officially failed me. "I understand you have trouble talking some?" I nodded again. "You know sign language?" I nodded once more, starting to feel like a bobble head. "You can say enough to take orders and interact with costumers? Can you cook, follow a recipe? Any prior experience with food handling services? Drink mixing?" I nodded to all of the above, and he glanced down at my resume. "Mostly barkeeping here, but I see some food handling and if you can manage in a busy demanding bar setting I'd imagine you'll fit in here just fine. Can you start tomorrow?" It took me a moment to register what he said. I was hired. He went on for a minute about pay and tips and what hours he had available-which was as much as I wanted. I bobbed along to what he said until he slid a pack of papers to me. Gabriel and Luke had left to deal with costumers at some point, but I stiffened, seeing a spot for social security and full name and the requirement of a birth certificate....