The Misfortunate

Please Vote <3

" Before what?"  A deep voice asked, anger seeping through the calm tone.

Just the man I wanted to see the least, stood at the kitchen door.

" Sir! We should clean this up before the floor becomes sticky," I force myself to say.

Yeah, that could work.

" I leave the restaurant for two hours and all this happens? Who's out there with the customers if all three of you are here?"

The three of us faced him with guilt-ridden faces. Heck, I was tempted to tell him I'll go but the look on his face kept me glued in my spot.

" Mikasa, Eren. Take care of the customers while Sasha and I clean this floor."

" Yes, sir," we both say and rush out of the kitchen.

" He's handling this better than I thought he would," I tell her as I grab a tray.

" This is Erwin we're talking about. He always knows what to do. But I bet he's not done talking," Mikasa says coldly before heading off to her section.

" Yeah," I say, making my way to refill drinks and give customers their checks.

I turned the sign on the door to closed at exactly 11 pm.

Erwin sat in his office while the three of us cleaned tables and counted money, silently.

There were papers we have to fill out each day to give to the manager along with the money we gather during the shift. We call them cashout papers.

Mikasa turned hers in, then Sasha.

" I'm off, Eren. I promised Armin I'd see him after work." Mikasa announced, giving my body a gentle hug.

" Sure, say hi to him for me."

" See you tomorrow."

Minutes later, Sasha got out of Erwin's office looking pitiful.

" Hey Eren?"

" Yeah?" I tell her from my seat on a barstool where I was counting money. The lighting is always better here.

" Thanks for helping me out today, and for not blaming me in front of Erwin even though what happened was obviously my fault. I'm really sorry. I'll get better, I promise."

I shake my head and give her the biggest smile I can muster.

" It's alright. Don't even worry about it. I was like that too in the beginning and I know you'll get better. I've seen how much potential you have."

Of course, my start here involved cursing and purposely dropping food on customers instead of hiding and eating their food but hey, to each their own, right?

" Thank you for the encouragement. You should probably get in there. Good night."

She pointed toward the office's direction and I wished her a good night before getting off the stool.

I gave the door a few light knocks and was allowed in.

" Eren " The older man sighed while saying my name.

Well, that doesn't sound too welcoming.

I shamefully neared his desk and placed my folded cashout paper with the money inside it on top of the others.

" Today was a challenge the three of you weren't ready for, it seems," he started, his broad shoulders and muscular build a little intimidating, but I knew that his sharp mind and his ability to read people were the reasons why he got his powerful reputation.

Erwin was the proud founder of his own company. He had enough free time and money to open this restaurant too. Understandibly, he can't be here all the time. I respect him so much, that being on his bad side would crush me and my dreams of ever being like him.

" Sir, the shift was going smoothly and then a lot of things happened at the same time and we didn't handle them fast enough, I promise it's a one time thing."

" The customers didn't appreciate the lack of professionalism you three showed. One man complained about you in particular, wasting time and taking too long to get his orders."

" It wasn't my table!" I shouted, recognizing that person to be the angry man from earlier. My hands slammed down on his desk and my instincts were to defend myself immediately. Erwin didn't even flinch at my outburst. Maybe he's used to it by now.

" I just wanted to help Sasha and the man treated me like dirt! It made me wanna punch him but I still did what he wanted."

" It's alright, Eren," came his calm reply, making me pull back from my towering position over his desk.

" I know you tried your hardest. And I'm really proud you're starting to suppress your urges to fight with the customers. Your coworkers tell me you kept your cool the whole time and that's progress. I'm proud of you."

As sweet as these words sound to my ears, I feel like I still have a long way to go if I'm being congratulated just for not lashing out on someone.

"Unfortunately", he continues, "as I already told your coworkers, I will have to cut from your salary to pay for the losses."

My lips pursed to the side in a really unsatisfied way, but nevertheless, I nodded.

" I know you need the money, kid. I'm sorry. I'll tell you the details some other day."

" It's okay, I get it."

I reached to untie my waiter's apron when I felt something unusual in its pockets.

Widening my eyes, I pull it out.

" Erwin, there's something else you should know. A strange man came and ordered black tea, he didn't pay before he left but I found these on the couch where he was sitting."

I gave him the bundle of cash that was wrapped with a thin white fabric.

Erwin laughed. He laughed.

" Black tea, you say?" He asked rhetorically before smiling at me.

" Keep it, Eren. It's yours. That man left them for you."

" How do you know?"

" Let's just say he's a little friend of mine."

Erwin laughed again. I had no idea what was happening but I cracked a smile to ease some of the awkwardness I felt. I wasn't about to argue with that, I mean, if the man from earlier wanted to give me what looked like about 200 dollars, who am I to refuse?

The air outside made me shiver in my white button-up and black slacks, but I had to tolerate it for the duration of my walk to my apartment. The trip is far, but it's something I'm willing to tolerate in order to work at the Scouts Regime.

The strap of my backpack is suddenly yanked and I open my mouth, ready to yell at whoever grabbed me but my words are quickly stifled by larger hands that pulled my tired body into the nearest ally.

****************

Author's Note

Rough start for our boy Eren in this book

Don't kill me lol

VOTE IF YOU LIKED THIS CHAPTER