Chapter 33

This chapter is really inspired by TBHM novels xx enjoy

FLASHBACK---

England, July 1933. 

"Lianna! No, I'm scared!" Esma screamed through laughter, hugging her knees as she rocked back and forth.

"Don't be silly! Just jump in!" I called from the water, splashing as I kicked about.

The lake was small with a wooden jetty. Tall green, grass brimmed the edges and the summer sun glistened on the water's surface.

"1!" I counted and Esma grinned.

"2!" I clapped my hands together.

"3!" I yelled and Esma squealed, jumping into the water with her knees tucked to her chest.

She landed in the water with a large splash and then swam towards me, jumped on my back and pushed my head into the water. "Heyyy!" I laughed, shrugging her off.

We swam in silence for a minute, enjoying the warm summer air and cool lake water.

"You know we really should be wearing proper swimwear, If my mama sees us like this we'll be in trouble," Esma spoke as she floated on her back, eyes shut and lips pursed.

"We'll only get in trouble if we get caught," I replied with a smirk, looking down to the underwear and blouse I had replaced as swimwear.

"Let's see who can hold their breath the longest," Esma suggested, jumping on my back once again.

"Alright." I agreed with a grin. "Go!" I held my nose and dunked my head under the water.

PRESENT-----

LIANNA'S P.O.V

There were three fatal patients. An unconscious soldier with blonde hair, an elderly man with a wound dressing to the abdomen and a woman with curly dark hair and olive skin. Her breathing was ragged and loud. I walked towards her and sat at the edge of her bed. Her hair was covering her face and a thin layer of sweat covered her skin."Is there anything I can do for you Ms.?" I pulled the girl's curly hair away from her face.

I sat frozen as I took in the scene before me.

Esma lay in front of me, wheezing and barely breathing. Her eyes were closed and her skin was pale. Her lips were parted and her chest was quickly rising and falling.

My face felt slack, my lips parted, and all colour drained from my face as I starred at my best friend, wide-eyed and shocked.

"Esma!" I shook her shoulders. "Hey, Esma!" I yelled and her eyes peeled open.

"Lianna." She whispered and grinned. Her teeth had a yellow tinge to them and her lips cracked and bled as she smiled.

"Y-yes, it's me," I whispered. "You're going to be fine." I smoothed down her hair. I hadn't even noticed I was crying until tears splashed onto Esma's face.

"I need some help over here!" I yelled but no one came. "Someone please help me!" Mary came rushing towards me in a panic.

"What is it?" She asked throwing her hands up in the air.

"This one, I know her, she can be saved, it's not too late!" I stuttered.

"Nurse Beauchamp, she's terminal," Mary whispered.

"Just get me a surgeon, a doctor, someone!" I yelled and Mary rushed off.

"I've missed you." Esma croaked and I took her cold limp hands into mine.