Chapter Eight

Anna and Adrian left the castle. They walked down the bridge that entered the forest. They both paused and glanced up at the tall mountain in the distance.

"The South Mountain," They said in union.

Adrian faced the princess and said, "Let's split up. I'll go alone. You can go with Lupus."

"The wolf?" Anna's eyes widened. "No. I'll go alone."

"He'll protect you. Without him, you'll be killed by whatever lives in there." Adrian glared at the castle behind him. Lupus was sprinting towards him. He skidded to a halt and sat down next to his owner. "Lupus," Adrian ordered, "go with Anna up the mountain."

The wolf obeyed and trotted up to the princess.

"I can't deal with this!" Anna complained. She glared at Lupus and hissed, "Don't do anything that will annoy me, you little beast!"

Lupus cowered down and whimpered with fear. He glanced at Adrian, nervous, and then back at the princess.

"Do not be mean," Adrian said. He gazed at the forest. "Let's go."

They stepped into the forest. The leaf litter below them was cloaked in frost and the air was frigid. Snowflakes began falling softly from the sky. Anna paused and put on the cloak she seemed to have carried with her. She then proceeded walking.

Adrian paused and turned a different dirrection. He glared at Anna and said, "Countinue walking forwards. Reach the top. I'll be there."

Anna nodded her head and walked forward, Lupus trotting behind her.

The flakes began falling thickly, making the princess unable to see. Icy wind struck her face as she trudged up. She suddenly slipped on ice and began tumbling down. Right before she could fall unto an icy river, Lupus gripped his teeth onto her cloak and carried her up. He dragged her into a vacant cavern. The inside seemed as if it was made completely of ice.He then laid her down and realesed his grip.

Anna stood up and glared at Lupus. She smiled and whispered, "Thank you." She glanced around the cavern. She looked up at the stalagmites covered in ice hanging from the cavern celing. "Where am I?" She asked the wolf.

Lupus glared up at the celing. He glared back at Anna and tilted his head in confusion.

Anna groaned. "Thanks. Now we're lost! Stupid wolf," She muttered.

Lupus bared his teeth and growled at her. He seemed to say, I saved your life! His ears were perked. He glanced around and gripped his teeth onto Anna's cloak anew.

"What now?" Anna groaned. The wolf dragged her out of the cavern and into a clearing covered in a thick blanket of frost. The flakes were still falling, but lightly. Lupus let go of the cloak and sprinted out of the clearing. The princess followed him back into the forest.

The wolf skidded to a hault. He glanced around anew and howled. His cry echoed through the forest. He then glared back at Anna and barked at her. The princess walked up to him and gave him a concerned look.

Lupus whimpered at her and glanced around. Deep growls echoed throughout the forest. Suddenly, several wolves emerged from the shadows, teeth bared and ready to attack. Lupus snarled at the beta wolves, his eyes full of rage.

The alpha of the pack fixed it's gaze on Anna. It barked vicously at her and leaped towards her. The princess screamed in pain as it sunk it's teeth into her left leg, gripping it tightly. Lupus glared at Anna and yelped with fear. He faced the alpha and barked at it.

The alpha released Anna's leg. Blood welled from it's jaws. It snarled at Lupus and ran towards him. It gripped it's teeth onto Lupus's muzzle. He trashed around, escaping the enemy's grip. Lupus's claws raked down the enemy's flank and his teeth sunk into it's throat, blood spilling out. He sunk his teeth in deeper, tasting the warm blood. The alpha trashed around. Lupus released the enemy. It tried to bark, but it colapsed on the forest floor. It jerked it's body, but then steadied. It's eyes stared sightlessly at the sky.

Lupus faced the beta wolves and snarled at them, his jaws pooling blood. The frightened pack raced back into the forest. Lupus glared back at Anna. She had a large bite mark on her arm. It was still bleeding. Lupus walked up to her and licked her arm.

Anna smiled at Lupus. "Thank you," She whispered to him. She stried to stand up, but she couldn't. Her leg stung with pain. She glared up at the South Mounatin standing high above the trees. She knew she couldn't walk up it nor climb up it.

Lupus nudged the princess and whimpered. Please get up, he seemed to say. Anna attempted to stand up again, but she fell over on her back. She moaned in pain. Lupus nudged her anew.

"I can't get up," Anna said to him. "I don't know what to do now. I should have stayed back in the castle."

Lupus seemed to scowl at her and say, Don't you care about your sister? She's up in some mountain doing who knows what!

Anna finnaly managed to stand up. She smiled and glared at Lupus. "Thanks, again." She then looked at the mountain. She began walking towards it, slightly limping. Lupus followed her, looking out for any other enemies.

 Well, that was interesting.