Chapter 20

Robin sat on the edge of her bed watching Felicity who was preparing the implements of writing. Sadly the scene brought back memories of Michio all that time ago. He was going to teach her how to read and write, but that young elf with the gray eyes interrupted them. But Robin was sure that now Felicity would be able to teach her, without being interrupted. A board covered in cloth was placed on the floor, on it was a sheet of parchment, a quill, and a small amount of ink. Felicity kneeled beside the arrangement and beckoned Robin to do the same. Minding her dress Robin dropped down beside Felicity and watched as she picked up the long striped feather that was acting as a quill. Felicity began by describing the different components needed when writing, how to maintain a quill and when to dip. Robin listened impatiently waiting for her to start with the letters.

Finally Felicity dipped the tip of the quill into the ink and carefully scratched a shape onto the paper a. " this is the letter A, learn it." And with that Robin began her education in letters. She learned quickly, devouring the letters as if her life depended on it. Years of desire to learn how to read and write fueled her dedication to understanding Felicity's lessons now. The letters took her only an hour to learn, soon she could recognize the letter and what sounds it made. After going through the entire alphabet Robin looked up at Felicity triumphant, her exited gaze was met only with humor though. "This is where the hard part comes in. Now you have to learn how to write them." With that Felicity passed the feather to Robin.

Feeling the light weight in her hand Robin stared at the light brown feather with dark brown bars across it. So excited she hardly breathed Robin dipped the quill into the ink well, hand shaking she moved it over the parchment. Underneath Felicity's perfect a Robin scratched a poor imitation. Biting her lip Robin refilled her quill and began to try again, this second attempt was looking much better, but just as she was drawing the little tail the door burst open causing her to jump and skid her quill across the parchment. The long blackened streak ended with a broken nub, torn between wanting to shout and wanting to cry Robin glared up angrily at her interrupter.

It was that same elf who interrupted her and Michio the first time she started to learn. He looked taller, and older, though to Robin's eyes he looked only a little older than herself. His face was flushed red in embarrassment, and he passed a hand through his hair nervously. "What was that for? Haven't you ever heard of knocking? That is the second time your interrupting stopped me from learning how to read and write! Do you just want me to stay ignorant?" Robins outburst surprised everyone, including herself. The boy standing in the doorway ducked his head and muttered something. "What was that? I couldn't hear you!" Robin felt anger bubbling up inside her, she was starting to hate this boy. He looked up and said something, louder this time, "I said my name is Xavier. And I need to talk to you." There was a pause as he looked at Felicity "alone."

Felicity stared at Xavier then stood and walked out of the room leaving Robin alone with the newcomer. She stood as well staring at Xavier, his eyes were different from other elves they were gray and had rectangular pupils. "You are staring at my eyes, it's okay I know I'm a freak." Robin cocked her head examining him as she would an interesting beetle but she did not contradict him. She was still too angry so she just stood with her arms crossed. Finally Xavier shifted and spoke again "look, I'm sorry about interrupting you. But I didn't know." Sighing Robin nodded accepting his apology, "fine, I forgive you. What do you want?" Xavier smiled widely flashing his white teeth without realizing it Robin returned the smile. Still grinning Xavier made his way over to the bed and sat down patting the space next to him. Robin followed him and sat as well, though farther away then Xavier had indicated. Her actions seemed to dampen his mood slightly, but not by much.

Sighing Xavier looked as though he was about to start talking, but seemed to bite his tongue at the last minute, instead he threw himself backwards and stared at the ceiling while laying on the bed. Robin looked at him surprised, but before she could say anything he started talking. "Robin, what do you know about the beast? About what it is and why the elves trapped it?" Confused she shook her head, mind flashing back to the conversation in the little room, he couldn't have heard them, could he have? But he didn't say anything, just waited for her to respond. "Not much, just that it eats the sheep of the tribesman, and all of the elves' magic is tied up in binding it. Xavier was silent for a long moment, then he rolled over to his side and looked at Robin intently. "Well, you are partially right, I mean you have the basics, but none of the background knowledge. None of the how or why."

"Then tell me." Xavier nodded, "very well. The beast did eat the sheep of man, but it did much more than that. It was a sickness, a blight on the land. No crops would grow, herds were constantly sick. Everything was dying, you see we elves we live off the land, our fate is tied to it. And man, all the tribes were freezing they had little food and come winter no wool to make warm coats of. So the only answer was to destroy the beast. But the race of man had little strength, and elves could not kill it. A new solution was reached, the magic of the elves was called and tied together entrapping the beast. Soon the land began to grow again, and life became easier."

Xavier fell silent, it seemed to Robin like he was trying to figure out what to say next, or if he even should continue talking. Several moments of quiet ticked past before Xavier spoke again "I've always been grateful that the beast is trapped, if someone were to release it chaos would ensue. Life would be horrible." Robin looked at him sharply, but provided no other response. Xavier sat quietly for only a minute more, then deciding he had said enough stood to leave. Robin seemed torn, biting her lip while watching him. But she did not move to stop Xavier as he walked out the door. Instead she sat on the bed, contemplating what he had just said. She was going to release the beast along with Felicity and Lokar. But they never said anything about a blight on the land. Why did Xavier bring it up in the first place anyway, Robin couldn't think of any reason unless he had heard her conversation with Felicity. But if he had heard that, then surely he would say something or he would have gone to someone, or something. Robin groaned confused, had he overheard her or not. And if he had would he tell, or just try and convince her not to go through with the plan. Getting no where, Robin at last decided to wait for Felicity to come back and consult her.