Chapter 4

Robin cowered against the wall, but Felicity continued to move forward. Another man entered the room before Felicity could cover the last few feet separating her from Robin. The man was tall and slender, his skin paler than the others, his hair inky-black, as were his eyes. Frozen, and staring into the twin pools of night Robin was sure she was going to meet her end at the hands of these two evil monsters. So she closed her eyes and looked away.

But rather than aiding Felicity in her attack the new man stepped forward and spoke a single word. "Stop" his voice resonated on many levels, it's deep commanding air made Felicity freeze midstep. The dark eyes flicked to Robin and the man spoke again "what was the crime of this girl that has you so riled Felicity?" Glaring angrily she spun around to face him spitting fiercely as she spoke, "she dug into Sophie's secret drawer, and read her diary!" The man's face flashed with a split-second of anger making Robin's heart stutter. Advancing he leaned over her and in a calm voice belaying the anger on his face he asked: "Did you read Sophie's diary?"

Eyes wide Robin shook her head. "Lies!" The high-pitched screech made her jump but the black-eyed man didn't move. Instead he spoke again "Felicity doesn't seem to believe you" "I, I, can't read" a Robin began crying again, "I don't know how to read, I didn't read that journal thing, I couldn't!" As her sobs grew progressively louder Felicity snorted then left the room.

"Michio is my name" Robin's gaze turned to his again. "Will you tell me your name?" Robin shook her head quickly, Michio stepped back and sat on the bed. "Why won't you tell me your name?" Robin opened her mouth considering, "the stories say you can control those you have the name of, if you are real the stories could be right about that as well" her small voice quivered, sounding insignificant compared to his resonating tones.

Her answer created a pause, then he threw back his head and laughter. White teeth flashed as light glinted off their points. His long hair, just as silken as Lokar's, fell behind him. As he laughed Robin noticed that the band encircling his head was golden rather than silver. He laughed for several minutes. "That is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard" Still chortling Michio stood up and walked over to Robin, ignoring her retreat further against the wall he offered her his hand and said "I think, my dear, you a going to be an entertaining guest in this community . . . And no, I can't control people I know the names of." Tentatively Robin accepted the proffered hand, feeling the strength in Michio's arm as he pulled her up. "Robin" she said at last, "my name is Robin."

Michio nodded, "it's nice to meet you Robin" he lead her to the bead and placed the discarded journal in her hands. "Don't pay attention to Felicity, you can read the journal if you want." Robin stared at the small object in her hands, "I was telling the truth, I don't know how to read." Michio regarded her for a moment, then placed the journal on the mahogany side table, "I will come back tomorrow to teach you if you want."

Smiling for the first time in a long time Robin nodded, anything to bring Michio back and keep Felicity away.

Exhausted from her ordeal Robin fell asleep after Michio left. She didn't wake when he brought her a tray or food, or when he came back to check an hour later. When she finally did wake up her stomach twisted with hunger. Detecting the smell of soggy stew Robin rolled over and touched the tray. Feeling her way around, for it was very dark, Robin picked up her spoon and began to eat. Ignoring the slimy texture she finished in no time, then she started on the bread. The outer-crust had turned hard but the soft doughy inside was still warm, so she ate it with great zeal. Finishing her meal Robin lay back agian, picturing her life and how it had changed.

True while in huge tribe she had been free to roam where she wanted to, but she rarely had food and didn't have any nice cloths. But here, Robin rolled over looking at where the wall would be, here she had a comfortable place to sleep, nice clothing, food, her only sacrifice was her freedom of movement. And living in the same area as Felicity of course, but somehow it was okay.

Content with her lot Robin's thoughts turned to the next day when Michio would teach her how to read. To understand how journals talk, and listen to their stories. In her tribe there were stories, but they weren't beautiful like the journal was, just scribbled signs in the dirt and painted symbols on canvas tents. Very few tribal members were ever taught to understand what those symbols mean, the ones on the canvas anyway, the ones people scratched in the dirt were easy. A squiggly line for river, and triangle for mountain, and other basic shapes. But the canvas symbols had special powers, protection against the beast.

The Tribe had discovered those symbols years age, left on the rocks of elves that were driven into the forest. The tribe thought the symbols were a special spell that weakened the beast and protected the elves so they stole them. Robin had never believed that, but now that she was among elves she supposed it was true. Of course apparently elves couldn't control your mind and that was in the stories.

Unsure of what to think Robin decided to not think at all, so she lay staring into the blackness of the ceiling and wondering when the light would come.

She must have drifted off to sleep again because the next thing Robin knew Michio was standing over her with a new tray. Dreading the same meal as every morning and night before Robin sat up and accepted her breakfast. Michio waited in a previously unnoticed chair by the door as she ate, sitting patiently while she finished her soup and loaf.

After she did finish it he left his seat and placed the tray on the chair instead, then he turned back to Robin holding a single sheet of parchment, a quill, and some ink. Excited Robin sat up trying to pat down her messy hair so it would stay out of her way. Smiling benignly Michio placed his supplies on the table, but rather than setting them directly over the wood an old cloth covered board was first placed.

Answering Robin's enquiring gaze he simply stated "in case you spill."

Just as the two settled down by the table to begin a flustered elf rushed into the room. This one was not as tall as the stately Michio, nor as harsh as the fair Felicity. In elf standards he was rather short, although as Robin looked closer he looke young rather than just short. As if he had not yet grown to his full potential. His cheek-bones were not as pronounced as Michio's they were smooth under his skin. As Robin stared at the newcomer she noticed another feature that truly made this elf strange. His eyes, the pupils were neither human, nor elf. Instead they were slightly rectangular in appearance.

"Your liege, ma'am, I'm very sorry to interrupt but Lokar has returned and, we have a problem" too startled by his child like voice to notice the elf had just addressed her as ma'am Robin cocked her hear curiously and looked between the strange elf and Michio, who was apparently a liege. Michio looked back at her, eyes apologetic. "I'm very sorry, I'm afraid we have to cut this less on short before we even begin" lower lip trembling Robin nodded.

The new elf looked slightly uncomfortable then he spoke up "if it's reading you are teaching her I could . . . " "No Xavier, I need you with me." His previously soft voice turned sharp as he cut Xavier off, ignoring Robin he swept out of the room, Xavier gave Robin a sad look then followed the taller, darker, and probably older, elf.