Chapter 6: A Riff

Chloe's POV

As I pull into the long narrow driveway I take notice of all the vehicles parked on the sides of the pavement, and pouring out onto the street. I note an open parking space close to the house, right where Eddie told me there would be waiting for me. Yesterday I tried to assure him I would be perfectly fine with parking on the street and making the quick walk up to the house, but he insisted that I get prime parking. As I squint towards the house I see the glow of lights coming from inside, accompanied by loud music and conversation. It's only been 5 days since we last hung out, but it feels so much longer.

I make my way to the front door, pushing the screen open, letting myself in. Darting my eyes around the room for a familiar face, I spot Jeff on one of the couches in the living room. I causally make my way towards him, swerving in between the cliques of people. 

"Chloe!" Jeff excuses himself from a conversation, and stands up to meet me. "Glad you could make it out."

I glance around the packed room and with an amused look on my face say, "Just a 'small gathering' eh?" 

"Started out that way, believe it or not." We share a laugh and he guides me towards the back porch where he last saw Eddie. As we make our way through the kitchen, I look behind me to see Jeff being pulled into a conversation. I give him a small wave, indicating I'll be okay to find Eddie on my own.

Once at the back door I peek out the glass into the dark night, where I see two figures. One guy is perched on the railing, his long blonde hair flowing freely in the wind. The other with medium-length wavy hair, wearing a brown jacket. My heart leaps a bit, as I slide the door open, ready to greet Eddie. They both quickly turn their attention towards me when they hear the door open, and stop their conversation. As soon as the light hits their faces, I realize the one isn't Eddie.

 As soon as the light hits their faces, I realize the one isn't Eddie

"Opps, sorry guys, didn't mean to interrupt you." I quietly whisper out.

The blonde speaks out in a gentle tone, "No worries."

An intense gaze from his companion makes me feel slightly uncomfortable, so I nod and head back inside.

As I'm making my way through the hallways to the bedrooms I hear some voices echoing; one of them is deep and pleasantly familiar, so I follow the sound to the large den upstairs. Shyly I creep into the room, not wanting to disrupt them. I take a glimpse at Eddie, who's chatting amongst a few guys. He's in a white shirt, flannel tied around his waist, hair falling perfectly around his face. I resist the desire to run and jump into his masculine arms, instead making my way silently towards him.

 I resist the desire to run and jump into his masculine arms, instead making my way silently towards him