Chapter 15

Le Hands (again)

And so once again, we shall have a butcher's look at hand movements and what they could mean. Our hands reveal a lot about what's going on inside our heads, so this part of the body is quite important when looking at body language.

Let's start:

Touch: The way we touch others reveals how comfortable we are with them. Touching with fingertips is less affectionate compared to touching using our whole hands, with the palm.

Hand rubbing: In the previous ' le hands', I mentioned that this action is used in anticipation, but it is also a sign of stress. The more we rub our hands, the more stressed we are. It probably wouldn't be too hard to discern between the two meanings.

Handshakes: This was also mentioned in the previous 'le hands' chapter, about what each type of handshake could mean, but here I will mention that a good handshake should just mirror the other person's, all while keeping good eye contact. A handshake is pretty important,  and if you get it wrong, it can leave a lasting, bad impression.

Fingers: This is one I found interesting. I didn't notice, and many others probably didn't either, but the space between our fingers says a lot about how we are feeling. There will be more space between them if you are feeling confident, and less to none if we are feeling more reserved and shy. 

Our thumbs may even be tucked under our fingers as a result of stress. You will find that a persons thumbs will rise more when they speak if they are confident, especially when the fingers are intertwined. 

This is something to definitely look at when observing people, because so many people don't notice they do it themselves, so it is  then harder to hide if they are trying to hide how they feel.

Hands behind back: Fearlessness can be portrayed when we have our hands behind our back, often a stance used by people in the army. We expose our chest and vital organs with this stance. However, if we look at how our hands are placed behind the back, it can mean something else. It is authoritative if we see palm over hand, but if the hand is gripping higher up the arm, such as the wrist, even up to the elbow, it can be seen as frustration and self control. The higher up the arm, the more frustrated the person is.

Rubbing neck: People tend to rub the back of their neck with their hands when feeling intimidated, angry, threatened, frustrated or fearful

Rubbing neck: People tend to rub the back of their neck with their hands when feeling intimidated, angry, threatened, frustrated or fearful. Even more interesting, is that on the back of our neck is where miniature 'erector pillae muscles' are, referred to as 'goosebumps'. Rubbing that spot satisfies that tingly sensation by creating warmth.

Steepled hands: When the fingertips of one hand lightly touch the fingertips of the opposite hand, making a 'church roof' look. It is usually a sign of confidence and arrogance. When the steepled hands are lowered, it indicates a listening attitude.

 When the steepled hands are lowered, it indicates a listening attitude

---

So, quite a short chapter.

It's been a while, hasn't it? I'm sorry about the long wait.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter and learnt something new :D

---

Websites used:

https://lonerwolf.com/body-language-hands/

http://westsidetoastmasters.com/resources/book_of_body_language/chap6.html

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/spycatcher/201001/body-language-the-hands