Chapter 3 ✰ Lost Men

Years ago in Neverland

Winds have been tough all day. It was a day full of heavy weather. The Jolly Roger has lain at anchor for almost two centuries now, but there was still work to be done. My crew was eager to work, but most of them were still unskilled, so I had to do most of it myself.

Later in the day, the breeze slacked off. I went below decks to find some men yelling to each other. 'Hey foul!' I heard a voice. I head towards my cabin as someone jumped into me out of the shadows. I grabbed my sword on pure instinct, bloodrage boiling in my veins and I could hardly prevent myself from slicing open one of my own men.

I recognized his red curly hair and blue and white striped shirt. He was one of the biggest men on my ship and they called him Dodge. He stumbled to a halt just in front of my sword. His fingers slid over his knife. 'Think again, Dodge' I murmered angry.

Dodge took a step back and shook his head, his thumb still resting on his knife. 'Well?' I prompt

I sighed deep inside. The men I'm sailing with these days are nothing like my old crew. They were all gone in the past two hundred years. The fate of a sailor and my fate in Neverland. My eye fell on Smee, my first mate. His messy hair straggles out from beneath his read beanie. He was a tiny men, but the only one I trusted.

'Say sorry to the Captain' he barked

'Why should I say --'

'Silence!' I yelled. 'Someone will explain to me what is going on here or you'll all see the lights of the Underworld' I add gesturing with my sword. It has been ages since I killed anyone in my own crew, but these men didn't know. No one last for ages in my crew.

'We're playing football, Captain' Dodge said slightly embarrassed

I gaped at him. 'Football?' I looked around the space and grinned. 'Football?!' I shook my head in disbelieve. With every generation my men became more foolish. The boy will have them all rotting in Hell soon and all they care about is a stupid game. None of them would last the first minutes in a real fight. Most of them are still the Lost Boys they once were.

The urge to send them all to their quarters without food is overpowering me. They already think I'm a ruthless man, that is why they obey me, but I must not let them think I became weak. Before I can utter another word of disapproval I was interupted by a loud clang from above. My men and I exchanged a look. 'Who dares to ring the bell?' I shouted.

Flint, our newest member, stands above the hatch. Something what was left of the bell rope has come off in his hands. We all ran up on the deck as the lookout man gestured like a wild man. I quickly scanned the area.

'Captain!' the lookout cried

I raised my hook for silence. I heard a rumbling of drums. Most of my men didn't know the sound, but I switched gazes with Smee. I knew exactly what this was. Pan's tribes were on warpath.

'What is that sound Captain?' Dodge asked

I tried to listen to the drums. Something sounded different. There was something cheerful in it, not unpleasant, like I had never heard before. It was almost enchanting, but I knew better. His boys are enchanted to sleep during nights, but some other creatures weren't. We never knew when he launched a new game.

I glanced back, seeing all eyes turned to me. 'Ignore them. We need a double watch tonight and a sharp lookout for his war boats.'

'Aye Captain' most of the men responded

Smee walked over to me. 'It's been a long time since they were stupid enough to attack this ship' he said

'I say: let them come!' Dodge yelled

I nodded in agreement. 'If they crave so much for Hell, let's give them a taste!' I shouted as the men burst into cheers.

I chuckled deep inside. It's all theatre here, illusion. From the moment they first stepped upon the stage until their exit. Let them think I have engineered this event for their benefit, that I've no idea what the drums means. But I do know. 

⚓️

That night I heard a bell. 'Don't be afraid'

I couldn't see whose voice it was that spoke to me.

'May I help?'

I was confused. There is no way to help me in this place. The stranger remains hidden from my view, but the voice was drawing nearer

'There is always a way'

It had to be a trick of the lost boys

'Peter doesn't know everything'

I sat back, chilled, even thinking about the boy's influence on all this. But how were they able to read my thoughts?

'There is always a way' the voice told me again. It was quite nearby this time. 'We can find it together'

I reached my hand tentatively into the shadows. 'Take my hand'. My hand trembeled as I felt a soft skin. I felt connection, alliance and something more. Something I couldn't explain.

The next moment I was on the deck of the Jolly Roger, watching the dark sea sparkling with little stars. It was my freedom out of this bloody place.

I woke up to find myself still in my cabin, still trapped in Neverland. The never ending nightmare. My cabin window told me it was still dark night. I heard the tread of men on watch above and some mumbling voices, but the drumming has slacked off. Instead of the drums there was another horrible sound.

I reached out for my bottle to hydrate myself, but it was already empty. I rolled over and grabbed a pillow to cover my ears, but in that moment I heard a whisper.

'Seize your chance'

My eyes widened. What kind of sick joke is this? I lit the candle next to my bed, but my cabin was empty. I swung my legs over the side. I've had enough dreams for tonight.

♥♥♥

A/N: Wow, it has been three weeks since I last updated this story! I'll try to update it more often!

Please share your thoughts with me!!

Follow me on Instagram to stay tuned or follow my Wattpad account!

@ CaptainSwanStories