Certain about one thing.

Start from the beginning

22:17

"Wait until your father hears about this. You won't be leaving this house until youre as old as I am!" she continued and I smiled just a little.

"Mother, you're barely in your thirties," I responded calmly.

"Compliments isn't going get you out of this one, young man. You'd be lucky if your father gets his hands on you before I do!" she yelled, worry clearly lacing her tone. "Where are you?"

"I'm in the hospital-"

"Did you get in an accident? Are you injured? Did someone attack you? Oh God, I have to call your father," she rambled and I sighed.

"It's Ella, mother," I told her calmly. She stopped for a second to take a deep gulp of air before beginning another onslaught of questions. I allowed her to fire questions until she ran out of oxygen. While she was sucking in much needed air I quickly spoke.

"Something happened while she was at home and she called me. I took her to a hospital. They said she'd be fine but Mony and she has nowhere to stay. Would it be alright if they stay with us for a little while?" I asked as quickly as I could.

"What happened to her? What about their parents?" she questioned.

"I promise I'll explain everything when I get home. Ella has to stay in the hospital for a little longer can Mony sleep at our house?" I responded.

"Of course, but you bring her home right away. It's far too late for a child to still be awake," she scolded sternly. I smiled at her reaction.

"I will. See you soon."

"I love you, dear."

"Love you too, Mother."

I headed back into the hospital room. Simon was sitting in the chair next to the bed while Mony was curled into Ella's side. Simon and Ella were talking about something he did when they were younger.

"You almost broke the poor kid's nose!" she exclaimed while snorting at the memory.

"And he deserved it too," Simon insisted. "Shoving you into a desk like that." Simon scoffed but grinned when Ella burst out laughing. "You're one to talk. You only pulled me away so you could kick him where it really hurts."

"Yeah, but I had to!" Ella protested. "I couldn't let you have all the fun."

"I'm beginning to realize you can very easily break every bone in someone's body," I laughed from the doorway. Ella looked at me and laughed as well.

"You bet," she confirmed.

"My mom said it was perfectly fine for you two to stay with us. However she ordered me to bring Mony home right now. Very firmly, may I add," I told them. A relieved look settle in Ella's eyes and she nudged Mony.

"Alright them. Goodnight, sweetie," she said and kissed her head. Mony gave her one last hug before grabbing my hand tightly.

"Thank you, Kane," Ella said with a smile that reached her eyes.

"You're welcome," I replied.

"Oh, and make sure Mony wears a helmet!" she yelled after us.

"Will do!"

I led Mony to my bike and handed her the helmet. She sat down in front of me and I quickly started the engine. My house was less than ten minutes away so it didn't take long before we pulled up into the driveway.

The moment we stepped into the house my mother pulled Mony into a tight embrace. She glared at me while she scolded me.

"You should be ashamed of yourself, young man. Keeping a young girl like her awake so late into the night. Coming home this late and almost giving your poor mother a heart attack," she fussed.

"Good evening, Mrs. Moalch," Mony said from between her hug.

"Come on, dear. You must be exhausted. I'll tuck you in," she quickly pulled Mony up the stairs. I moved into the kitchen and turned the kettle on to make us some tea. I placed both cups on the table and sat down on one of the chairs before she appeared in the doorway.

"Thank you," she said as she sat down opposite me. "Something happened to them both."

"Yes," I answered even though it wasn't a question.

"Something that put them in danger?"

"Yes," I confirmed again and before she could ask what happened I spoke again. "It's not my secret to tell. I'll ask Ella to tell you, Mother, but I can't betray her trust, especially not now."

"I know, dear. I'm very proud of you, but I need you to be careful. I don't want you to get hurt with whatever is going on." She smiled at me and I realized again what an amazing person she was. "I assume you need to speak to your father?"

"Yes, he needs to answer some questions for me," I responded determination flooding through me.

"He's at the office for the night," she said gentle, placing her hand over mine. I gritted my teeth but managed a smile.

"Alright, I'm heading up to bed. You should get some rest as well, Mother." I kissed her cheek and headed up the stairs. I locked my door behind me and opened the window.

"We seriously need to talk," I muttered under my breath as I jumped down. The past few weeks have turned my world around. I don't know what I want anymore.

A fleeting image of me and Ella lying on the grass in park crossed my mind. She was laughing at one of my stories and her eyes were sparkling, a light pink dusting her cheeks.

At least I'm certain about one thing.