1: ¦ lady in the mirror

22nd, September 2017

Staring at myself in the mirror as I comb my hair I'm wondering. You know, it's one thing to be a girl and it's another thing to be an unattractive girl. Especially when even you yourself finally comes to accept it.

But as someone clocking twenty seven today, I don't exactly see myself as a girl anymore, that's because I'm not growing any younger. So I've come to accept me for who I am and not what people say I am.

No matter what I think or whatever I hear, there's more to me than there is to the lady in the mirror, and I'm not trading my personality for anything.

Talk about the dark scar on my left cheek from my ear down to my chin, that same scar that people call ugly and say attributes to my unattractiveness, but the story behind it makes me see it as beautiful.

If I was to go back to that crossroad where I'd choose between saving my sister's life and risk earning the scar on my face. I will choose Cecile over and over again. And even Cecile's respect and reverence for me has never waned. She somewhat felt forever indebted to me and she, my parents and Vincent -my bestfriend whom I've had this forever highkey crush on - made me feel the best about myself.

They made me realize being beautiful didn't just pertain to your flawless skin, glorious tan or long eyelashes. Beauty is way beyond that and for me it doesn't have to be only skin deep. I finally accepted it after a long while, twelve years after that incident.

And I resorted to helping people, especially the little ones I taught, to accept themselves for who they are and not what they are termed. I'm only beautiful if I say I am.

And just as expected at exactly 6:30am my phone beeps and it's the same anonymous birthday text message.

Happy birthday beautiful.