"I thought you'd roamed off." He breathes quietly. His gaze looked worried and terrified.

"I'm okay." I shake my head. Will takes my hand and leads me carefully down the steps to the open room beneath where each girl sat near or beside another on a small cot. They all wore palace clothing with a few exceptions including me. I was wearing an old shirt and leggings I'd brought with me.

"You can go lay down if you like. I'll be over in a few minutes I have a few things to discuss with my parents and Logan." He tells me and nods his head to an empty cot. I nod and my feet carry me to the cushioned cot. I pulled the small, soft grey blanket from the bed and hugged it to my body as I sat down. My maids roamed the palace now, finding their own safe room with people attacking us.

"Hey." A voice comes up beside of me. I look up and it was Paige. I smile at her weakly.

"Hi." I manage. I was still dazed with tiredness and my vision was still blurry even with my glasses.

"My parents have been listening for gunshots and all, but haven't heard anything. It may have just been a threat but we'll probably be out of here soon." Paige says encouragingly.

"I hope so." I say and sit up a little.

"I like your glasses." Paige smiles and motions to my face. I laugh and take them off and look at them.

"I can't see very well without them honestly." I shrug.

"I think it's kind of cool." Paige says with a laugh. She looks behind her shoulder and turns back to me. "Guess I should be leaving. Bye." I didn't know what she meant till I slide my glasses on and look to see Will coming my way.

I force a smile and move to the side so he can sit beside of me.

"I never realized you had freckles." He says and grins as he looks at me. "Or glasses. Now I can say I've seen you without makeup and big dresses." He decides. I laugh and roll my eyes. I groan and take them off.

"I can't see as good without them. Especially when I first wake up. And it's dark in here." I complain, but continue to smile.

"Then put them back on. I think they're cute." He says and slips them back onto my face. I laugh and try to let his comment hit affect me.

I lean my head onto his shoulder and slump down. I felt physically exhausted and just wanted to sleep.

I felt Will's hand loop around my waist and then a gunshot surprised me and I flinched upward, suddenly more alert.

I look at Will and he had sat up straighter and looked toward the door. Another gunshot rung through the air and multiple continues after that. I flinch at every single one of them.

"You don't think anyone's gotten hurt do you?" My maids were the only thought running through my mind. I wait for him to answer but he didn't. I look up at him and he just looks towards the staircase that had brought us down here.

"I'm going to go make sure the others stay quiet. If we hear those gunshots so clearly they can hear us if we scream or talk too loudly." Will says and slides off the cot. I nod and pull the blanket up to me after we leave. I look around and the other girls sit in huddles or in pairs. Paige sat with Logan and kept her head positioned on his chest. The king and queen both stood and talked in quiet voices on the other side of the room.

I hear multiple scream along with a few gunshots. There were too many screams to recognize them separately, but it almost sounded like— no— my maids were fine. Perfectly fine. They had plenty of time to get wherever they needed to go.

I close my eyes and hug the blanket to me. I'd never been in a situation like this, and even the strongest of the other girls seemed to me emotionally struggling. Even Paige and Logan both seemed to be.

A weight presses down on my bed. I turn my head and see Will again and smile softly. I felt the hint of tears on the edge of tumbling onto my cheeks and closed my eyes again.

"Two girls have already decided they want to go home. I won't blame you if you do too." He whispers close to my head.

I shake my head, but couldn't manage to say anything. No matter how much I loved the palace and every adventure here, I could help but want the comfort of Colton tucked in my arms.

"You should be consoling the other girls. The ones that want to be home." I say and look up at him.

"They all don't seem very happy with me. As for the others, they're with their friends." Will tells me. "Don't worry about it." He pulls me closer to him and puts his lips to the top of my head.

I felt safe and comforted at that point, and I was so grateful for that.