Chapter Five: Realizing A Dream

One afternoon in December of 1956, as I came around the corner of one of the buildings looking for a jeep to ride over to one of the work sites, I saw Captain Lopez and three men standing outside one of the buildings, talking anxiously. I didn't recognize any of the other three men, but I could hear the tone of their voices as they spoke even from several meters away; it sounded very serious. I grew curious and walked toward them, pretending to be preoccupied, yet straining to hear their conversation from where I stood.

"David, come here!" Captain Lopez called out to me after he spotted me lingering.

I rapidly walked toward the men, sensing something exciting was happening. As I was heading toward them, a military vehicle came around the corner of one of the buildings, quickly parked, and a group of men got out of the vehicle and rushed into the building. All of them were carrying weapons in their hands. Another vehicle pulled up alongside the first one, squealing to a stop, and the same thing happened again. Now curiosity got the best of me.

I reached them, and Captain Lopez introduced the three men to me.

"David, they just enlightened me on some events that took place today," he said, as I shook their hands. "Remember Fidel Castro and his band of revolutionists that attacked Moncada Barracks a few years ago? When they were released from jail, they went back to Mexico. Apparently, they refused to give up their idea to oust President Batista and now have come back to try again," he announced, rolling his eyes, seeming displeased with that news.

"Oh geez, not him again. I thought we were rid of that man for good," I mumbled.

"We're going inside to discuss this and find out what exactly is going on. Come on inside with us."

I hesitantly followed him inside, knowing he would likely use this opportunity to lure me into signing up for the military. We had discussions in the past over this very topic. There were always rumors of people over the years that wanted to get rid of President Batista in unconventional ways, and the military had to be prepared to fight.

Inside, the room was filled with people yelling and cursing, upset with that news. Political pressure had caused President Batista to free all political prisoners in Cuba, and therefore, releasing Castro and Raul after only two years' imprisonment. After their release they returned to Mexico, but continued to plot and build an army with plans to overthrow President Batista.

Castro and his brother, Raul, arrived on the southeastern side of Cuba from Mexico via Castro's own private yacht, the Granma, bringing a small army of revolutionists along with them. His mission: to oust President Batista and take over Cuba. He was trying again. They came through the Sierra Maestra Mountains and were met with some of President Batista's army, and a battle ensued. People were lost on both sides, but Fidel Castro and his brother got away. Castro and his men were hiding out in the mountains in the southeastern region of Cuba, where he was actively growing his army, expanding his territory and weapons, and making plans. Castro named their movement the "July 26th Movement" after his attack on the two military bases that occurred on July 26, 1953.

A few weeks later, Fidel Castro and his band of guerrillas attacked an army outpost on the south coast, creating awareness that he could be a real threat. It was causing people to pay attention. Some of the Cubans were gaining interest and becoming hopeful for new leadership. Many others didn't want any change, afraid of what they'd get. Two months later, Marco asked me to work late one night and close up the restaurant for him. After I closed up, I went upstairs to his apartment and fell asleep. Real early the next morning, I awoke to hear voices coming from downstairs in the restaurant. They were talking about an invasion of President Batista's palace. Listening to them talk, I grew concerned about what they were saying, but I couldn't catch it all just lying there. I arose and went downstairs. Marco and a few other people were in the restaurant discussing the news. When Marco saw me, he waved me over to the table where he and the men were sitting.