We didn’t talk very much over breakfast, the mood brought down by the subject of the trial. Ben got up when he finished, putting his plate in the sink and heading towards the living room to watch TV. There was a football game on. While I enjoyed watching sports, I didn’t feel motivated to watch the game. I decided to take this opportunity to call Sonia.

When I called, I expected the phone to ring for a while like it usually did, but surprisingly, today the phone was picked up within the second ring. “Hello?” Sonia’s voice answered. “Hey, Sonia, it’s me,” I say.

“Clair! What happened yesterday? We were looking all over for you yesterday. Kenai came back and said you went home. He looked mad, so I thought maybe you two got into an argument.”

“Yeah, something like that…”

“Sorry about Kate…”

“That’s not even it… Sonia, I-I told him everything.”

“What do you mean ‘told him everything?’”

I lowered my voice so that Ben wouldn’t hear from the living room. “I told him about his past life.” There was a gasp over the phone. “What did he say?”

“He didn’t believe me. At first, he pitied me, but then he get angry when I tried to explain everything. God, I feel so stupid. I don’t know how I’m going to talk to him after this. He’s probably furious with me.”

“Hey, don’t worry, I’m sure things will work out just fine. Maybe it’ll bring you closer to his memories.”

“I just hope I didn’t completely screw things up. Anyways, this isn’t really what I called about. I’m going to New York for a few days next week, okay? I’m leaving tomorrow.”

“Wait, what? Why? For how long? Why haven’t you said anything?”

“Well… Do you remember how I said that my mother died? That’s why I moved here? Well, they found the guy who did it, and they’re putting him on trial this Wednesday. I have to be there to testify.”

“Clair… I’m glad they found him.”

“Yeah, me too… She’ll have justice now. Anyways, that’s what I called to say. Tell the others where I went if they ask. Just, I’d rather you not say the exact reason. Say I went to go visit a friend.”

“Of course. Is your dad going with you?”

“No, just me.”

“Alone? Are you sure that’s such a good idea? Have you ever seen that movie Taken?”

“Don’t worry, I’ll be fine. I flew here to Alaska on my own, I’ll be fine going New York.”

“Well, I still don’t like it, but there’s nothing that I can do. I wish I could go with you, but I don’t have that kind of money right now.”

“That’s fine, Sonia, I wouldn’t want you going. I’m going because I have to. If it were up to me, I don’t think I’d want to go back.”

“I’m sorry to hear… Well, I’m glad that you’re okay, at least.”

“Thanks. I’m honestly still really plagued by this. I’m probably gonna go for a walk or something right now so I can try and clear my head.”

“That sounds like a good idea. I’ll leave you to it.”

“Alright, then. I’ll call you when I get back from New York, since it’ll be pretty hectic during the trip.”

“I understand. Be safe, alright?”