"If you say so..." He continues to tease, then goes back to his side of the desk.

My laughing stopped as I looked at my phone. I saw "daddy" in my MISSED CALLS and my heart speeds.

I haven't spoken to him in awhile.

I turn to Seokjin with the phone in my hand. "My father can't know that I'm working right now."

He nods, getting my hint. "I'll be as quiet as I can be. I'll just be over here, doing work."

I press on his name to call back and mouth a "thank you" to Seokjin.

My father picks up immediately.

"Hey, cupcake!" He greets with much enthusiasm, but I can already tell he's faking his energy. "How are you doing?"

"Hey, dad! I'm great. How about you? Are you ok? Are you tired?"

"I'm fine, I'm fine. Don't worry about your old daddy. And that's good that you're doing alright. I hope you have a lot of good days more than tiring days, cupcake. You know how I don't want-"

"Yes, I know how you don't want me to stress or be tired." I pouted and looked towards Seokjin.

He smiled and gave me a thumbs up.

"Cupcake, you know I just really love you and care for your health. It's my fault our life went downhill, so I'm working my hardest to bring us back up. Taking on jobs is what will."

"I understand, dad, but you know, having a job isn't horrible at all. IF I got a job-"

"Soo Emi, we already had this talk. I don't want you working. Working brings stress and frustration. I promised you that I'll take care of it."

I looked down and played with my skirt. "Yes..."

"I just want the absolute best for you, cupcake."

"Mhm." I nodded, even if he didn't see me.

He sighed over the phone. "I love you, Emi."

"I love you too, dad. I want you to sleep well and have good days too."

"I do! I promise."

He promised a lot, but just hearing the way he breaths in between his words shows how weary he is.

It hurts.

"When are you coming back?" I ask.

He sighs again. "Not-Not anytime soon."

"I see."

"I'm sorry, cupcake. I'm working hard, so I'll be able to come back soon, ok? I'll call you as often as-"

"SOO JAE, WHAT ARE YOU DOING ON THE PHONE!?"

I sucked in my breath. "Dad, who's that?"

"GET OFF THE PHONE!"

"Da-Dad! Who was that? Why is he yelling at you? Where are you?"

"Nothing, sweetie. I-It's Nothing. I have to go. I love y-"

Cut.

I let my arm fall to my lap and my head stayed lowered.

I closed my eyes as my lips shivered. Tears instantly built up in my eyes and they slowly escaped.

I brought my hands to my face and quietly sobbed.

I love my dad so much.

Hearing him struggle makes me...

A pair of arms wrapped around my body and pulled me closer to them. A hand rested behind my head and stroked me lovingly.

"It'll be alright. You'll be alright and he'll be alright." He whispers so close to my ear, I felt the warmth of his breath.

I nodded, but I couldn't bring myself to agree.

I cried on his chest.

Becoming more and more determined to work, even if I'm disobeying him...I'll be helping him.

I feel very strongly about this.

*

*knock knock*

Seokjin and I look up from our laptops.

"Come in!" Seokjin shouts.

Naeun peeks her head in with a sweet smile on her face.

"Hey, you two." She greets so gently.

"Hey." I wave.

"Hey, Naeun, is there anything you need?" Seokjin asks.

"Yes, yes, sorry to bother, but there's an event next weekend at the Jung's Company." She steps in with a stack of papers in her arms. "I'm dropping these off. Please do read."

She sets down a couple papers in front of Seokjin. He quickly grabs one and scans it.

"Thank you, Naeun." Seokjin nods, his eyes still looking at the paper.

Naeun nods too and heads for the door. She gives me one last wave before leaving the room.

"Jung Company?" I scoot my chair over to Seokjin's side. "Is that-"

"The famous Jung Hoseok." He sighs, then looks at me with raised eyebrows. "You know him?"

I laughed. "No, I don't. Who is he?"

Seokjin playfully smirks. "Oh, he's this horrible man. Very controlling, very loud."

I laughed harder.

Our joke ends when Seokjin hands me the paper invitation.

"It's a...like a party. It's where companies gather and have a drink, maybe some food, probably a conversation. It's considered important because it keeps our cool with each other, to put it in simpler terms. We don't speak business or talk about work. We simply chat and be friendly with one another. We have every once in awhile. A couple months ago, we had it at Namjoon's company. Now that was a fun party, heh."

I nibbled on my bottom lip as I stared at the invitation.

"You don't have to go if you don't want to, Emi. If there's a problem, then it's best to keep distance." Seokjin assures.

He was talking about Hoseok.

Not the party.

I shook my head. "I want to go. It's a company party. Just because Hoseok's going, doesn't mean I have to interact with him."

"It is something you, as an employee, should attend. It's pretty fun. It's a good time to get closer with everybody." He leans down to nudge my shoulder. "There may be some cuties there."

I shoved him away with a giggle. "What are you saying? I'm not looking for anyone."

"Right. Because you already found someone cute." He cups his face.

"I can't say you're wrong." I looked down with a shy grin. "He is pretty cute."

My eyes still stayed on my pencil skirt. It was quiet for a bit and I was awkwardly waiting for him to say something.

"Emi..." He softly calls and grabs ahold of my hands.

"Hm?" I look back up.

"Go with me."

"H-Hm?"

"Let's go together." His lips curved into a wide smile. "Come on, it'll be so much fun! Won't it?"

I nodded without thinking. "It would."