1. Maybe Tomorrow

~~~~~~Part One: COLD AS YOU~~~~~~

A small femme’s laughter echoed off the walls of the Nemesis, filled with joy and elation as her peds struck the metal floors. “Daddy! Daddy, guess what!” She dashed into his quarters, the doors sliding open for her automatically. “Dad-dy!” A pout crossed the small femme’s faceplate as she reached for her father’s hand, grabbing one of his much larger digits in her much smaller palm.

A disapproving frown crossed the large, silver mech’s faceplate as he looked down at her. “Where did you learn such an awful term?” He growled, his vocalizer threatening as his red optics locked onto her smaller form. “Confess, Flare,” he warned.

The small femme blinked her bright blue optics, but kept her hold on the warlord’s pointed digit, despite the danger in his tone. “I was on the internet, Daddy. That’s what the humans call their sires. I like it.”

“Well I do not,” he replied harshly. “If I hear that dreadful term again, I will not hesitate to strike you. Are we understood?”

ScatterFlare nodded, straightening up, saluting her father, but she didn’t release his digit. “Yes, Sire!” She stood there a moment longer, waiting, her body language all business, the warmth of affection still lingering in her optics.

“What is it, Flare?” Megatron growled, pulling his metal hand from hers, but she kept her grip, tightening it, even, refusing to let go. “Slag it, Femme, I have work to do! Go play with SoundWave! Why won’t you let go?”

Flare blinked, looking up at him, a bit of unintentional mischief glittering in her optics. Megatron recognized it from her carrier -- had he not know the other femme so well, he wouldn’t have been able to pinpoint it at all. He still wasn’t certain who the femme would take after. With the way she acted, it certainly seemed like she would be taking after her carrier. That femme had been a mess of trouble, though she had been worth every second of it. Megatron still vented when he saw the similarities between the two, though he tried to ignore it.

Of course, while the femme in front of him was quite similar to her carrier, she had unique traits all her own, that didn’t seem to come from either her carrier or her sire. It was an unusual thing, especially in the sparkling of two Decepticons.

“Because I need to tell you something, Sire. May I tell you something?” Her voice was quiet, obedient. She contained herself though she felt certain she was ready to burst. Just slightly, her helm gave a small tilt.

With a vent, Megatron shuttered his optics for a moment. “What is it, Flare?” Had they not been alone, Megatron would have rejected her and told her to go elsewhere. He wasn’t fond of her pulling these shenanigans in front of his troops.

Scatter’s optics lit up a bit brighter and she smiled, her hand squeezing his digit again. “I love you, Sire. Do you love me, too?”

Megatron paused for just a moment, venting slowly, opening his optics to look at her again. It was hard to reject a look like that. But the bitterness that crept into his spark from the loss of his mate and her carrier hit him like a blow to the helm. “No.” He turned away from her, pulling his digit from her hand and returning to his work, or at least, he tried to.

Flare paused for a moment, blinking, then giving a small nod. “Okay, Sire. Maybe tomorrow. I’ll still love you tomorrow, too. Have a good day, Daddy!” She dashed out of the room, as chipper as ever, her mood only slightly dampened by his rejection. Because she loved him.

She would always love him.