9. Shadows

"Don't you dare hurt him!"

Flare rushed forward, colliding against Starscream, her blades slipping under his armor and cutting a few cables, energon gushing out within seconds. Rolling away from his grasp with grace, Flare glared at the silver seeker, her eyes only glancing at her father on the floor, motionless.

Starscream cursed at her as he stood, and as he regained himself, the energon slipping from his injured knee servo gradually turning black. Losing her composure, Flare looked up as the seeker morphed and became a large, black, shadow-like creature. It wasn't quite Cybertronian, and his eyes looked red as ever, but all his armor faded into pitch black. Denta similar to her father's appeared as dark as the rest of him, only longer and thicker. They appeared far more predatory.

Flare's spark skipped a beat as she stared up at the beast. "Daddy?" She called out, slowly backing away from the beast. A Cybertronian she could fight. A creature of darkness?

Not so much.

"Daddy?" She tried again, feeling guilty that she'd come to his rescue and now required rescuing herself. Flare couldn't help herself. She was terrified. "Daddy?" She tried a little louder, but Megatron didn't stir. Taking another step back as the creature began to advance, Flare called out for another. "Soundwave?" Her voice was barely audible as she tried to keep her distance and stay out of its reach. "Soundwave?" Again, she called for her secondary guardian. Flare didn't know who else to try.

But as the creature reached for her, a guttural noise coming from it, Flare simply reacted, running in the opposite direction.

"Mommy!"

Flare had known it was a desperate shot in the dark for the only being left that might protect her. The word had been driven out of her by pure fear and instinct.

She hadn't expected the loud crashing that came from behind her.

When Flare turned to see what had happened, she saw a flash of white against the darkness.

And then the darkness grew. The darkness spilled out over the floor, reaching towards her, and Flare stepped back, but was too afraid to leave completely. The shadow was growing more and more, and Flare's terror did, too. She didn't know what to do.

At least, until the white stood up, approaching Flare, the shadow motionless on the floor. Flare stared at the figure.

That was when she realized this couldn't possibly be real.

"It's okay, dear," she murmured as she came closer. "It's okay. Nightmares can be scary, I know."

Her bright blue optics flicked around the hallway quickly before returning to her mother. "This can't be a nightmare," she whispered. "I can't be dreaming."

"No, dear," she said with a small vent, picking up her sparkling. "Not quite a dream . . . But it is very similar. I don't know what else to call it, really."

"Why are you here?" She asked in a soft voice, unsure of what to think.

"You called for me," her mother answered gently. "My daughter will face things on her own one day, and she does so quite a lot already, but I will always be here for you, my darling."

Flare's optics turned down as she leaned against her carrier's chassis. "I was so afraid."

"I know, Dear. I know. These things are natural. It's all right to be afraid."

"How come you don't mind me calling you by the human terms, but Daddy does . . . ?"

With a small vent, her mother gave a weak smile. "Your sire . . ." She shook her helm gently. "He hasn't quite warmed up to the term, and sees it as more of an insult than a term of endearment, my love. After all, the humans are inferior. So, really, he doesn't see it as worthy as a term as sire."

"But Daddy is so much warmer," Flare argued softly. "Sire just . . . Anyone can be a sire . . ." She muttered, clinging tighter to her carrier. "Please don't leave again, Mommy. I need you."

Ebony vented gently, squeezing Flare gently. "I can't stay here much longer my beautiful darling. I'm so sorry. I must return to the well. You'll join me there someday. Don't worry. Then we can spend eternity together."

"But when?" She asked softly, trying to edge herself closer to her carrier. "What about Daddy?"

"Your sire will be there, too, someday. We'll be a family."

"It's just so hard," Flare whispered. "I don't want to be alone, Mommy. I love you. Stay with us."

"I can't, Darling. I'm so sorry. I'll always be with you, but my ability to be separated from the well is limited."

"Mommy, please . . ."

"I'm so sorry, Flare," Ebony murmured, squeezing Flare again. "I'm so sorry I can't stay with you."

~~~

Flare wandered down the halls that morning, every slight movement in the shadows causing her to jump. It made her feel silly that she was so easily frightened when she should be strong. Venting deeply, Flare attempted to ignore the way her spark skipped at every small movement. A warrior wouldn't be afraid.

Straightening her shoulders, Flare lifted her chin as she continued toward the room she was certain she'd find her sire in.

And she was right. Megatron stood on the balcony, surveying the screens that his loyal followers worked on.

Upon seeing he was all right, Flare slowly walked over to him, silent in her movements as she gripped the armor of his knee servo, barely reaching a height above it. She didn't say a word, didn't even smile as he looked down at her, puzzled by her silence. Megatron made no move to shoo her away, simply went back to watching the drones, taking a small comfort in her presence.

It took quite some time before Megatron spoke, though he didn't look down at her. "Is something bothering you, Flare?"

Flare shook her helm, watching the drones the way her father did, too shaken to look up at him, or force the words to speak. The world was scary. But that didn't mean her father should have to take on the burden of her fears.

"Flare, you know I do not tolerate lies."

"I was just scared last night, that's all," she said softly. "I was scared . . ."

Megatron paused before venting. "Was that really so hard, Flare?"

Again, she shook her helm. "No, Sire," she answered, recalling that her mother had explained his aversion to the term she'd taken to calling him. "I'm sorry I lied."

Megatron gave a curt nod. "As long as you do better in the future, Flare."

"Yes, Sire. I'll do better."

After a few more silent moments passed, Megatron checked and made sure no one was watching before he reached down, picking up Flare and placing her on his shoulder.

Neither said a word for a few moments, as it was something Megatron hadn't done since Flare's carrier had passed away, and it wasn't something Flare recalled well.

"Is this what it's like to be tall, Sire?" Flare asked softly, taking in the new perspective.

"I suppose it is, Flare."

"Do you remember what it's like to be little?" She asked with a whisper, treading carefully with her words.

Megatron shook his helm carefully. "Not well, Flare. That was a very long time ago."

"Oh . . ."

"Perhaps one day you'll see Cybertron. Perhaps that will stir my memories of what it was like to be . . . little."

"You mean it, Sire?" Flare asked, a small glimmer of hope seeping into her voice, but she kept it quiet.

"Yes, Flare. Perhaps when the space bridge is finished. However, I wouldn't get your hopes up. The space bridge won't be complete anytime soon." Megatron kept his tone steady and uninterested, but Flare's spark still skipped a beat.

"Thank you, Sire," she whispered. Not wanting to push her luck, Flare returned her attention to the front of the room, falling silent again.