Oath (Scene 05)

Moss carpeted the clearing, covering every rock and stump. No fallen leaves touched the small paradise, even though the forest around was littered with red and gold foliage. Large mushrooms of every color grew up from the green floor and made stools for the countless winged pixies that danced and played.

The songs of birds and laughter of the tiny fairies beckoned all life to come and rest. A fox napped with two squirrels while fawns pranced around in a game of tag. The peaceful scene pulled my feet forward and melted my fatigue.

A tall woman pruned a small quickthron tree near the center of the garden. Forest green fabrics clung to her frame but flowed around her arms. A mantle of feathers covered her shoulders, tangling with her wild, crimson hair. Gold adornments accented the otherwise simple dress.

Her regal gaze compelled me to drop to one knee. My brain fumbled for words, but could find none. I suddenly became conscious of my ragged, bloody appearance, and it filled me with shame.

"Rise Sir Arlyn and tell me why you have come." Despite her permission, I could not bring myself to rise.

"Lady Ghrian, I beg your aid in saving the aes sídhe Glyn Dhu from the edge of death."

"You should know, sir knight, that Glyn Dhu has committed terrible crimes. Crimes that would deserve the final judgement of your blade. Why are you here to beg his salvation?"

"I do not know the extent, but I know his past holds darkness. I also know that he has saved many lives to atone for that past." My belief couldn't afford to waver. In this place, I was neither judge nor jury.

"He has not saved enough compared to the injustice he commited." Her voice was filled with ice, I didn't dare look to see what expression painted her face.

"He has saved my life three times, and I have saved many since, perhaps even some of the lives of this blissful place. Let those I saved count in his favor."

"Even counting every life in these mountains would not even the scales." A gentle hand cupped my chin, then firmly forced my gaze up. "Stop avoiding my question. Why are you begging for his life?"

"He has saved my life, I owe him."

"Yeah, okay." She released my chin and went back to tending the quickthorn sapling. "And I suppose the real reason has nothing to do with that kiss he gave you?"

"Of course not!" Heat flushed across my face. "I just," I paused. "He just," words jumbled around in my mouth.

"He just kissed you so now you're blinded by love and not thinking straight." Small giggles all around me echoed the goddess's laugh, making my face feel even hotter.

"I took an oath not to be blinded by hate or greed. The oath said nothing about other feelings," I muttered.

"You don't need to justify yourself, I'm not saying you're wrong. I just want you to be honest." She stopped working with the sapling and started walking toward the forest. "Get on your feet Arlyn. I'm not some peasant who's going to fetch things for you. You're coming with me."

The grove disappeared in the trees behind me as we went deeper into the forest. For a while, we marched along in silence.

"Do you wonder why the silver flames reside in you, and come at your command rather than through prayer and chant?"

A thoughtful silence settled over me. I reached deep inside, and quickly found the source of the flames. Another moment and the flames ignited in my stone hand.

"You have channeled the sacred flames using your own lifeforce, had your lifeforce replenished by an aes sídhe, and bear several of their curses. Because of these things, you have become half aes sídhe.

The stump she led me to cradled a small gemstone in its mossy nook. The precious pebble seemed to shift color by the moment, changing through the whole spectrum.

"Your change is only temporary. Each time you use the flames, the fairy power in you diminishes. With time you will be human again." She reached down, and plucked the gem from its resting place. "This is one of the four treasures of the Otherworld. By swallowing it, you will give up your humanity and become one of the aes sídhe."

"And then I will have the power to save Glyn?"

"Yes."

Give up my humanity to save an aes sídhe? I loathed them for so long, and met some of the most evil of their kind. Their evil has acted as a mirror, reflecting the cruelty and hatred of my own order.

The memory of two heart beats drumming together outshined all the horror and pain I experienced since arriving in Wicklow. I didn't have any more time to hesitate.

Sensing my decision, the Lady of Light handed me the gemstone. My eyes closed and the colorful treasure slid down my throat. My body ignited and silver fire licked the air around me. Golden light blinded me in a flash, then faded into total darkness.

The empty void drifted around me. For a long time there was nothing, until I came across a large pond. Vast sky reflected in the quiet pool, though only darkness existed above me.

Three pale lights hovered over the water. One light shined gold, another silver, and the final a starry blue. My feet touched the glassy surface, and did not sink. One of the lights spoke as I drew closer.

"I, Tuatha Dé Aynia, goddess of the golden sun, and lady of the trine, give you the Lia Fál, the Stone of Destiny. May its power guide you down your path."

"I, Tuatha Dé Elatha, goddess of the silver moon, and champion of the trine, name you Claíomh Solais, aes sídhe of the sword and wielder of the silver glaive of light."

"I, Tuatha Dé Brigid, goddess of stars, and keeper of the trine's wisdom, grant you the knowledge to restore Glyn Dhu. Furthermore, I erase his crimes from the heavenly record."

The waters rose around me, submerging me deeper into the pool and back into darkness.

Warm humid air touched my skin, and the familiar scent of strange filled my nostrils. A starry mushroom, the final ingredient I needed to save Glyn, rested in my hands. The last rays of the setting sun outlined the distant mountains, marking the little time that remained till the banshee returned.

With a whispered prayer of thanks, I went into the small hut.

** Author's Note **

Word Count: 1099 words (scene) / 18535 words (total)

Hi my precious readers,

We're almost there! Only 1,465 more words! Well in reality I will probably go over by a dozen words or so, but it's so close! Hope you liked Tuatha Dé Aynia. Special shout out to for a lot of the inspiration for this goddess.

~Allusir