Introduction | ✤✤

✾  Introduction 

- - -

If I close my eyes, I can remember him perfectly, from his cheeky grin to his sparkling, innocent eyes.

His gaze was imprinted in my own mind, and I locked it in a box within my heart and kept it there.

And yet, it was only a memory. If I reached out my hand now, I would never be able to reach him again, as much as I dearly wanted to.

All I could ever do was recall the times that we were still running around in the fields together, simply being ourselves.

He was about two years older than me, and first approached me on my way walking out from the school brick building.

At the time, it was my first year in primary school, and while generally I was a happy person who always spoke my mind, the first month hadn't been going well.

I was quite unaccustomed to socializing with my other classmates, but as much as I tried to be like them, I was usually the odd one out.

I couldn't seem to comprehend it.

Most of the other children already had their own friend groups, or were just too quiet to really interact with me.

I felt quite lost; I hadn't expected primary school to be like this.

It was a bit lonely, and the classmates constantly talked behind my back, which definitely didn't help.

I began keeping my head down, walking in a low stance and just feeling disappointed that there was really no one worth interacting with in school.

Then, I sighted him for the first time.

He was a young boy, who was a couple of inches taller than me, and was certainly someone from an older grade.

His hands were wedged into his pockets and his eyes fell upon me curiously.

I wasn't really paying attention at the time, as my only goal was to sprint away from the boring hell of school when the end of the day came, but then I felt a light hand tap on my shoulder before I could take off on my journey home.

I turned and sighted his eyes for the first time.

It was strange, as I never really bothered to pay attention to any of my classmates at school, but the light in his eyes just appeared to be so different to me.

They glowed. Their light actually reached me in some sort of way, and I wanted to grasp that light and keep it with me forever.

"O-oh. Annyeong." Those were the simple words that I uttered, as I just continued to stare at him, as he ran a hair through his black hair.

"Annyeong. This might seem random, but I just wanted to say hi. Since you seem so quiet and everything, you know?" His eyes shone with kindness, and I smiled softly at him.

"I appreciate that."

The two of us stood outside of the school in silence, as if the flowers and trees and wind themselves were making the conversation for us. But even then, it felt kind of nice.

Then, I snapped out of it because I realized that my mother was going to kill me if I didn't make my way home.

"A-ah, I need to go now." I bowed towards the young boy's direction to acknowledge that I was about to leave.

"Wait. What's your name?" he interjected, as I began to heave my backpack over my shoulder (which wasn't really "heaving" since the bag was actually really light because it's primary school, but I'm lazy and out of shape).