ten

SCARLETT

i was nervous about lunch but also excited to sit down and talk to auston. i was wearing the same amount of makeup as when i went to his house, along with ripped light wash jeans, a white t-shirt and my black and white nike windbreaker. devyn was in her room getting ready for class so i watched tv in our little living room until auston texted me.

auston
i'm here

scarlett
okay i'll be down in a sec

i grabbed my sunglasses and headed downstairs, putting my sunglasses on as i walked out the front door of the residence building. i recognized auston's car - he wasn't standing outside of it this time, and was looking down at his phone as i got in. he perked up immediately and i smiled at him. "how are you?"

"good. my ankle feels a lot better," i said.

"but how are you?" he emphasized, alluding to the fact that we always talk about my ankle.

"i'm good! are you excited for the season to start?" i asked. auston grinned immediately as he started to drive.

"definitely, a little nervous but really excited," he said. we drove mainly in comfortable silence, making small talk here and there.

"have you ever been here before?" auston asked as he pulled up to our destination. it was a cute little cafe that looked like the ones that girls always take instagram pictures at. i shook my head at him and grabbed my bag as we got out of the car. auston smiled at me as he walked around the car, and then opened the door of the restaurant for me.

auston and i stood in front of the counter, looking at the menu board as we tried to decide what to order. i ended up ordering an acai bowl because i had never had one before and had been wanting to try it. i also ordered an iced coffee. auston got a salad and a smoothie (i was starting to think this boy had a thing for smoothies). we got our food and went outside to sit at one of the little tables.

"so, making your debut in 2 days, huh?" i said, smiling at him.

auston smiled back at me after taking a bite of his salad. "don't remind me."

"aren't you excited?" i asked, furrowing my eyebrows.

"well yeah, of course. a little too excited though. i'm super anxious." he explained.

"nervous?" i asked. he nodded.

"you shouldn't be nervous. one game won't determine anything," i told him.

"i know, but there's just so much pressure on me to be good. it's kinda scary," he admitted. i understood what he was saying. number one draft pick on the last place team, he was being seen as the leafs' saviour. it wasn't fair for him to have that much pressure on him.

"i'm sure you're going to be fine. you've been playing amazing during the preseason. plus, you get to see all the cute ice girls during every commercial," i winked and he chuckled at me. it was nice that we weren't so awkward with each other anymore. i knew we couldn't be seen together, but i was glad we could still be friends because i really enjoyed his company. i wasn't really the type of person to open up to people quickly, but with auston, it just felt normal. he was the type of person who you just immediately felt comfortable with.

"yeah, what would i do without you," he said jokingly. we sat in silence for a few moments, enjoying our food. for september in toronto, it was fairly nice outside. however, i had lived here my whole life, so it made me wonder how auston felt about it.

"do you ever miss arizona?" i asked.

"sometimes. i miss my friends and family back home but there's a lot more to do here, even though i haven't done any of the typical touristy things. i like it here."

"so you haven't been to the cn tower? or the aquarium?"

"nope."

"we gotta go one day!" i exclaimed, getting excited. the cn tower was just somewhere you had to go if you lived in toronto, and i loved the aquarium. auston smiled at how excited i was over this.

"how about.... if i score a goal on saturday, i'll let you take me to one of those," auston offered.

"and if you score two, we'll go to both," i added on. auston rolled his eyes, laughing.

"yeah, and if i score four, i'll take you on a date," he said sarcastically, as if that was something that would only happen when pigs fly.

"alright, deal," i stated, extending my hand. he raised his eyebrows at me, as if to say "really?", and shook my hand.

"wait, what about if you score three?" i questioned, jokingly.

"i won't," he said, confidently. i wasn't really sure if that meant he was going to score four goals, or that there was no way he'd be able to score three, but i didn't question it. i wondered if he really meant anything by offering to take me on a date. the way he said it made it seem like taking me on a date and scouring four goals were both things that were never going to happen. i know we talked about the fact that we can't date without getting in trouble but i just can't seem to help it with him. i just hope he doesn't push me away again.

i decided to drop the conversation, i didn't want to put even more pressure on auston. he was extremely nervous, and scoring one goal in his debut would be an amazing accomplishment in itself.

---

"so he.. he.. he accidentally put.. a red sock.. in his white laundry.. and now half his clothes are red," auston exclaimed, almost crying out of laughter.

half an hour later, auston and i were still sitting at the table outside the little cafe. we had finished our food a while ago but auston had been telling me stories about mitch, with laughs in between every other word.

i laughed, imagining mitch's reaction when he accidentally turned his clothes red. it was also funny because that seems like such a typical thing for a teenage boy to do when he moves away from his parents.

"so basically he looks like a habs fan now," i suggested. auston nodded, laughing even harder.

---

many stories later, auston and i were finally ready to leave. he opened his car door for me and walked around to the other side.

"well that was fun," auston said as he started to drive away from the cafe.

"it was. i definitely can't look at mitch the same way now," i laughed. auston grinned at how embarrassing his best friend was. i had genuinely enjoyed my time with auston today. it really sucked that we could get in trouble for being friends, but part of me was just praying he'd score a goal on saturday so we'd have a reason to hang out again.

"i'll walk you to the door," auston offered as we pulled up to my building. "i hope you had fun," he said, pulling me into a hug.

"i did. i'll see you on saturday," i said, smiling up at him after we let go.

"see you on saturday," he nodded.

"don't forget our deal!" i called out as he walked away.

i already knew saturday would be interesting.

//

question of the day: what was your favourite moment of the all-star weekend?

answer: mine was auston & jack reenacting auston's celly lol