three

author's note: some chapters will involve instagram posts, dms, texts, etc! but this is not a social media story in any way, i just think they're a good way to help you get to know the characters & how they interact with each other. also, on instagram posts, i'll only put the important comments, doesn't mean she only got 1 or 2 comments lol.
-
SCARLETT

i was lying in my bed, the night after "the incident". i scrolled through instagram, with an ice pack on my ankle. after liking a few of my friends' pictures, i remembered i had taken a picture before the game. i quickly typed up a caption and hit post.
-

scarlettjones: was pretty excited for the new gig

scarlettjones: was pretty excited for the new gig... before i fell on my face & sprained my ankle

auston_matthews started following you.

auston_matthews: sorry about that
-
i'd be lying if i said auston's comment didn't put a huge smile on my face. i liked it and got out of bed, being careful about putting any weight on my ankle. i went into devyn's room and saw her sitting at her desk, typing up an assignment. "dev," i called out to get her attention.

she turned around and i showed her my phone with the two notifications from auston. "no way!" she exclaimed. i had told her all about my interactions with him when i got home after the game, which was a conversation full of giggling and squealing. "he's totally going to fall for you," she said and i felt my face heat up. "no way, dev. not happening," i shut her idea down. there was no way. "even if he did, my job wou-" i lost my train of thought as my phone vibrated and i looked down at the notification.

my eyes widened and devyn spoke up, "what's wrong scar?"

auston_matthews: how's the ankle?

"he... just dm'd me?" i told her, thinking of how to reply.

scarlettjones: it's okay! hopefully it'll be back to normal in a few days

auston_matthews: im sorry again. you seem really cool, i feel bad about it

scarlettjones: don't worry, accidents happen dude

auston_matthews: i was about to ask if you wanted to go grab coffee after practice tomorrow but you should be staying off your ankle

scarlettjones: yeah, trying to go easy on it. i'd like to hang out with you though!

auston_matthews: i could pick you up & we could hang out at my place? if you don't mind

scarlettjones: just don't murder me matthews

auston_matthews: promise. do you wanna come to practice too?

scarlettjones: i have class from 11-1, when does practice end?

auston_matthews: ends at 1. so ill pick you up after?

scarlettjones: sounds great!

i gave him my address and number, telling him to text me when he was outside. suddenly, i was going to auston matthew's place tomorrow. what were we even going to do? i told devyn what had happened and went to sleep, even though my nerves kept me up for most of the night.

-

my alarm went off at 10:00 and i groaned, before getting out of bed. i usually liked these days because all i had was my psychology class and then i was done for the day at 1, but i was anxious and just wanted to know what was going to happen with auston. i put on a white sweatshirt that had a little embroidered rose on it, black leggings, and my white converse. then for some makeup; i applied concealer, filled in my eyebrows, mascara, a bit of bronzer, and obviously i couldn't leave the house without some highlight. i usually didn't wear much makeup for class but since auston had only seen me with a full face, i couldn't hang out with him with no makeup on and feel confident.

i grabbed a yogurt from the fridge and put two trail mix bars in my bag for later. i wasn't a very big eater in the morning, but had to eat something or else i'd get extremely lightheaded in a couple hours. i grabbed my psychology textbook, said goodbye to devyn and headed out the door.

-
auston texted me as i was on my way back to residence after class.

auston:
                    hey it's auston. leaving the rink now so i should be there in like 15

scarlett:
perfect :)

luckily my psychology class was located in the building right next to my residence, so i would be able to go home first.
-
i walked into the empty apartment; devyn was at class until 3:00. i decided i had time to lightly curl my hair and touch up my makeup. was this technically a first date? no.. it was just two friends hanging out.. right? maybe it wasn't even that; what if the team was forcing him to do this so i couldn't give him a bad reputation?

i sighed at how much i was overthinking. at least i looked cute though. my thoughts were interrupted by my phone dinging.

auston:
i'm here

scarlett:
i'll be down in a sec!

i put my converse on and locked the door behind me. i took a deep breath and got into the elevator, unaware of how this afternoon was going to go.

when the elevator stopped on the ground floor, i felt butterflies invade my stomach. i walked outside into the fresh air and saw auston leaning against his car in front of me.