eleven

(A/N: i know auston's debut happened in ottawa but for the sake of the story it was in toronto, ok? ok.)
-

scarlettjones: calm before the s(eason opener)torm

auston_matthews liked your photo.

"are you excited for tonight?" devyn asked, looking down at her phone as i got the notifications for all her comments on my photo.

dev.idk: IDHFJSJFJDJDKL
dev.idk: YOU'RE SO HOT WOW
dev.idk: STUNNER
dev.idk: honestly marry me
dev.idk: my fav ice girl

i giggled at her comments. "yeah, i am. as a fan and an ice girl. the leafs should be pretty good this season."

"plus you get to see auston," she said, dragging out his name and nudging my leg with hers, as we were sitting on opposite ends of the couch with our legs up.

"oh hush," i rolled my eyes at her. "we jokingly made a deal that if he scores four goals he'll take me on a date."

devyn's eyes widened, "REALLY?"

"he's not going to score 4 goals in his debut, dev. plus he's super nervous," i explained, shutting down her excitement.

"hey, stranger things have happened!" she exclaimed.

-

i arrived at the air canada centre at 5pm. there were already some fans waiting outside, as gates would be opening in half an hour. i showed the security guard my pass and headed down to where we put our skates on. i decided to text auston.

scarlett:
good luck tonight!! you'll do great :)

auston:
thanks scar :) see ya out there

i put my phone in my maple leafs duffel bag that we were all given on the first day and directed my attention to maia who had just walked into the room.

"no falling tonight," she insisted, pointing at me and smiling. i rolled my eyes at her and put my hands up. "blame matthews, not me!"

"think he'll score a goal tonight?" she asked.

"hopefully. he's— i'm sure he's nervous though," i corrected myself. maia knew i had talked to auston but the other girls didn't, and i couldn't risk having them overhear anything. maia realized what i did and nodded.

-
the girls and i went out to the corner of the rink before the game started. usually we'd watch on tv but since it was the first game of the season, hailey let us stand at the glass until the first commercial.

"introducing.... your 2016/2017 toronto maple leafs!" the announcer exclaimed, and the crowd began to roar. it was amazing that the leafs had such a dedicated and passionate fanbase - they had been the last place team last season, and yet the fans were so excited, and the acc was packed.

the players came out one by one as the announcer introduced them to the crowd. "from scottsdale, arizona, number 34, auston matthews!"

it was his debut and yet the crowd went absolutely wild. i had only known auston for a few weeks, but i was really proud of him. he was making his dreams come true, and leafs nation already loved him.

after the player introductions, the puck dropped and the game was underway. the leafs were facing the senators, what's better than the battle of ontario on a saturday night to start of the season?

it was about 5 minutes into the first period and auston was on the ice. he had been looking a little nervous, but overall playing great. nylander passed the puck to him and he shot it, and it sounded like an explosion. he scored!!!

the goal horn went off and the 20,000 fans were on their feet. auston, nylander and hyman were all hugging in the corner. auston didn't look incredibly happy, but i knew he was on the inside. i was so proud of him, his first goal in his first game!

the buzzer went to signal a commercial break and we all grabbed our shovels before flying down the ice. as i passed the leafs bench, auston raised his eyebrows at me, cockily. i smiled and skated past the ottawa bench before shoveling the ice into the garbage bin at the end of the rink. i then turned around and made my way back. auston and mitch were looking at me and talking as i passed, and i couldn't help but wonder what they were discussing.

"matthews was totally checking you out!" one of the ice girls said to ivy as we got off the ice. maia looked at me and rolled her eyes, and i stifled a laugh. nothing could bother me right now - i was so happy for auston (and excited to go to the aquarium).

-
it was now a few minutes into the 2nd period and auston had scored two goals. i couldn't believe it. i know we joked about him scoring a bunch of goals, but really, three goals in his debut? absurd. the leafs were winning 3-2, and "auston" chants had ensued. i was scrolling through twitter as the girls and i watched the game on tv. media was going crazy over auston, and i was sure that they'd be all over him after the game.

scarlett:
time to plan our trips to the cn tower and aquarium ;)

about 10 minutes later, auston scored again. i couldn't believe it. "he totally did that so he could take you on a date," maia whispered to me. i laughed and shook my head, i was in awe. FOUR goals in his debut?

scarlett:
wow. okay i need to hug you. this is insane. where can i see you after the game where we won't get in trouble?

-
the leafs ended up losing 5-4 in overtime, but auston had an absolutely incredible game. once i was done changing into my normal clothes, my phone vibrated with a text from him.

auston:
haha thanks scar. i'm going to dinner with my parents but i can meet you in parking
in 20? ill say i need something
from my car

-
15 minutes later, i said goodbye to maia and headed down to parking. the leafs had a separate section where they parked, so i waited there and hoped that i wouldn't see anybody. a few minutes later, i saw auston walking towards me in a suit. i quickly walked up to him and threw my arms around his neck. i didn't say anything, and i didn't need to. we stood there for a few moments, his arms around my waist.

"thanks for the motivation," he said as his head was next to mine. i pulled away lightly and looked at him, confused.

"well i owe you a date now, don't i?"