six

SCARLETT

4 days. that was how long it had been since i heard from auston. i tried texting him the day after the game, and then the day after that when the leafs won again in detroit, but no response. i hadn't texted him since. today, i was returning to work which i was so excited about. i had missed being on the ice and bonding with the girls.

i got to the arena an hour before i was supposed to be there so i could sharpen my skates. after i sharpened my skates, i found hailey, who was happy to see me back at work. i apologized to her for missing some time and asked her if i could take a quick loop around the ice to make sure my ankle would be okay. she gave me permission and i went ahead with it after changing into my skates.

the girls started trickling in shortly after i got off the ice. when i saw maia she practically tackled me, almost making me fall back.

"i've missed you so much!! fuck matthews for fucking your ankle up!" she exclaimed, laughing. i smiled. "i've got a lot to tell you."

i told her everything that happened with me and auston, making sure nobody else could hear me. maia gasped. "that's insane! you're totally in!" i rolled my eyes, smiling. "he hasn't texted me back since after the game. i think he was really just trying to make it up to me," i confessed.
-
throughout the game, i stuck with my original strategy: tunnel vision. i kept my eyes on the ice in front of me, not letting the fans or players distract me. i caught the 34 on the back of his jersey out of the corner of my eye a couple of times, but i did my best to ignore it. i had a job to do.

the leafs lost for the first time in the preseason, meaning they were 3-1 with 4 games left.
-

scarlettjones: happy to be back at itmaiawilson: idk how i survived without you

maiawilson: idk how i survived without you

about 10 minutes later, i got a text from auston.

auston:
glad your ankles better

scarlett:
thanks, me too!

it felt like whenever auston and i talked it was always about my ankle, which made sense i guess. i was so glad i wasn't in pain anymore and could be working again. i had missed maia and the rest of the girls so much, and still couldn't believe i got injured on the first day.

"what am i going to do?" i groaned, sitting on the couch next to devyn and sighing. she was watching nhl highlights. "about what, babes?" she questioned.

"that," i said, pointing to the tv as they showed auston's goal from tonight. she looked at my and furrowed her eyebrows, encouraging me to explain.

"it just seems so weird between us. i thought we clicked from the moment he apologized to me, but i think it was a bad idea going over to his place. i should've just continued to get to know him over text and waited until my ankle was better," i elaborated.

"it'll be fine. you guys have known each other for what, like a week? give it time. you'll figure it all out eventually," she said. devyn was only 6 months older than me, but she was such a big sister to me. she always had the best advice and helped me with anything i was going through. "thanks dev, you're the best," i smiled, hugging her.

it was saturday, so i didn't have class tomorrow, but i still went to bed around midnight. that wasn't late for me, being a university student, but today was exhausting. i took my makeup off, brushed my teeth, and changed into a long, oversized t-shirt before getting under my duvet and falling asleep.

-
author's note: i hope you guys are liking this so far! i feel like the beginning's been a little weird and messy but i know where i'm going with it and it'll be cleared up in a couple chapters!

sometimes i'm gonna ask a question at the start or end of my chapters which will be question of the day. so,

QOTD: who's your favourite player/team?

POTD: my favourite player is william nylander & my favourite team is (what a surprise) the leafs!