Chapter 1-Everything Has Changed

It had been four months since Kayla Brody filed for emancipation from her parents. It had also been four months since her older brother Gannon was granted sole custody of their younger brother, Jonas. Together, the three of them shared a huge home with Gannon's girlfriend and Kayla's glee club instructor, Tara Malloy. Elizabeth Stevens, Kayla's friend and former bandmate, also lived in the house.

Kayla left her girl group Mystify just to be with her one true love, Shawn Evans. She invited Elizabeth to live with her and not before long, Elizabeth was dating Shawn's best friend, Bobby Thinnes. Even though they left the group, they still kept in touch with the surviving members, Siobhan Hazelwood and Anna McGuire.

Kayla came downstairs once she got dressed to go to school. She felt at ease this time around by attending school as herself. Although she missed playing the part of Makayla Brady, she was glad to not have to worry about disguising herself.

"Morning guys," she called to Gannon and Tara.

"Morning," they replied.

She scanned the house trying to find Jonas. It seemed like he was going to have her play hide and seek again. Luckily, she didn't have to look far; he was in the living room, watching cartoons before school started.

"Jonas Elijah Brody, turn off the tv and get your shoes on. Shawn and Bobby will be here any minute." she said.

"Aw man," Jonas whined.

She laughed as he got up to do what he was told to do. Kayla had been feeling uneasy with her stomach for the past month. She didn't want to bother anyone with her problem, she wasn't that kind of person. What she didn't know was everyone in the house, even Shawn and Bobby, knew that something was going on with how she would react to something.

Suddenly, a car began honking. Shawn and Bobby were here. Jonas opened the door and greeted them while still struggling to get his shoes on. Elizabeth rushed down the stairs with excitement to see Bobby again.

"Liz, you do this every morning," Kayla said.

"Yes," Elizabeth began, "but it still gives me butterflies."

Kayla shook her head in disbelief and they proceeded to go to the car.

"See you in glee club!" Tara shouted.

The girls got into the car and were greeted with good morning kisses from the boys.

"Gross-a-roo..." Jonas muttered.

"Well good morning to you too Jonas," Bobby laughed.

They dropped Jonas off at St. Berry Elementary, and they were on their way to the high school. It was senior year, they still couldn't believe it even though school started a month ago. The boys didn't have to worry about being bullied anymore; with Tyler LeLoup off at his first year in college and Oliver Kimball accidentally drowning at the community pool two months prior, Zane McQueen was no longer popular let alone a threat. Because of Kayla and Elizabeth, Shawn and Bobby became the new popular boys in school, and everyone was okay with that.

Kayla kept holding on to her stomach, as if she was going to get sick in the car. Elizabeth noticed this and had Bobby pull over just so their friend can throw up. The sound was awful. Shawn held his girlfriend's hair and rubbed her back. He felt helpless, there was nothing he could do to make her feel better.

"Do you want to just lay down at the nurse's office when we get to school?" Elizabeth asked.

"Nonsense Liz," Kayla declined, "I'll be fine in a couple of hours."

Bobby started the ignition and proceeded to drive to their destination.

When they arrived at St. Berry High, Kayla grimaced as she clutched her stomach. Shawn put his arm around her waist to support her.

"Sweetie, maybe you should lie down. Your complexion is a bit pale." Shawn noted.

"Shawn, I appreciate the offer," Kayla said, "but I need to get to first period anyway. Mr. Mochrie's big test is today."

When they arrived at Mr. Mochrie's door, Shawn walked his ill girlfriend in the classroom and sat her down in one of the desks. He kissed her cheek, told her he loved her and left.

Elizabeth and Bobby looked at Shawn with worry and concern.

"Don't you think we should do something about this?" Elizabeth asked.

"If she wanted us to do something, she would've said something." Bobby replied.

"I don't know about you two," Shawn said, "but I just think she needs to get medical attention before this gets worse, whatever it is."