Chapter 22-Larger Than Life

"TWINS?!" Kayla and Shawn shouted at the same time.

"What the fuck?! The ultrasound showed ONE baby!" Elizabeth snapped.

"Well sometimes one twin likes to hide behind their sibling. It may be noticed early or later on in the pregnancy, or it's discovered in childbirth," Dr. Hart explained.

The anesthesiologist came in just in time to manage the amount of pain poor Kayla was in. As the anesthesiologist was prepping to relieve Kayla, she was still freaking out; not about the pain anymore, but the thought of having two children.

"If you two want to discuss about what to do with the other baby, I'll leave and let you talk. I'll come about in about an hour to check up," Dr. Hart spoke as she walked out of the room.

Shawn helped Kayla moved to the edge of the bed, grasping her hands as she put her head on his chest and continued to breathe through the unbearable pain. "Two babies, Shawn," Kayla squeaked, "we're bringing two babies into this world."

"I heard honey," he spoke, kissing the top of her head lovingly. "What do you want to do Kay? Whatever you want to do, I'll support you."

"And we'll help you!" Elizabeth chimed.

Bobby nodded in agreement, adding "It'll be interesting, raising your two and our one. At least I hope there's just one baby."

Kayla chuckled as the anesthesiologist asked her to remain still for 5-10 minutes. Putting the epidural in during a contraction was rough, especially know she knew it was two times worse than what she was expecting when she thought she was still having one.

Once it was done, the anesthesiologist left, wishing them luck. Kayla felt more relaxed, and she had a calmer mindset of the current situation. "I think if we have a lot of help and a lot of patience, I think we'll be okay raising two kids," she told her fiancé.

"You sure?" Shawn asked.

She thought about that for a moment. Sure, it may be twice as hard to raise two but she believed the outcome out be extremely rewarding in the end. "I'm sure babe," she spoke. They kissed each other lovingly before another contraction ripped through her swollen abdomen.

Bobby and Elizabeth went out into the waiting room to inform everyone what was happening, especially the newest development they had learned. "WHAT DO YOU MEAN SHE'S HAVING TWINS?! THE ULTRASOUND SHOWED ONE!" Gannon screeched. He had said it so loud, everyone in the birthing ward could hear him. Kayla and Shawn busted out laughing of the sudden outburst.

Six hours later and labor was getting pretty rough on the girl. The epidural had worn off so she was waiting for another one, considering she was at a 6. The intensity of the contractions were too much to bear. Kayla had been gripping on Shawn's forearms like they were a security blanket, surely it would lead to some bruising later. But he didn't care, the girl he extremely loved was in a whole lot of pain, and it was because of both of them.

"Shawn," she panted, "I can't do this,"

"Yes you can," he coaxed, "you're doing such a great job sweetheart. Just a few more hours and we can hold our beautiful children."

The anesthesiologist knocked on the door, ready to do round 2 of an epidural. The procedure was in some way or another, deja vu; same sting, stronger contraction. She grasped Shawn's arms tightly. He hissed quietly, trying not to make her feel guilty. He kissed her forehead, encouraging her to remain calm and focus on breathing.

Elizabeth and Bobby watched, both freaking out on the inside. It had hit them that in a few months, they'll be the ones in Kayla and Shawn's position. All too much to handle for Elizabeth, even more worse for Bobby; too surreal all at once.

When the second epidural was inserted, the anesthesiologist left, once again wishing them luck.

-Four hours later-

"Babe, I want to walk around," Kayla said.

Shawn nodded, reaching his hands out for hers. Elizabeth rushed to the small bathroom to grab the robe Kayla had picked out. Bobby rushed to where Shawn was to help him get the laboring girl out of bed. She grabbed either arm on each boy, feeling her stomach tighten sickly.

"You're alright Kay," Bobby encouraged, "just breathe."

"I'm so sorry honey," Shawn whimpered, "if I could take the pain for you, I would."

Kayla moaned through the contraction, licking her dry lips. "Damn it Shawn, don't worry about it. It's going to be all over soon and I can get back to normal."

"Yeah what the hell is normal after you give birth," Elizabeth asked while putting the robe on her best friend.

"I have no fucking idea Liz."

They all chuckled lightly, taking slow steps as they left the room to help get the twins get lowered down. They were passing through the waiting room and everyone rushed out to see how things were going.

"Oh my god you look like death!" Jacoby blurted out.

"Is it scary?!" Carolyn asked.

"How awful is the pain?!" Artem and Allie spoke together.

Gannon shooed some members of the group to get a good look at his pregnant sister. "You and Shawn really got pregnant didn't you," he joked. She chuckled quietly at his joke, side-hugging him. Tara kissed her future sister-in-law on the cheek, while Jonas fought his way to talk to his big sister for a minute.

"Sissy, how are you going to get those babies out of your tummy?"

Panicking, she replied, "Gannon will explain it to you when you're older."

"How old do I have to be?"

"At least fourte-"

She stopped and gasped loudly as she doubled over in the worst pain she had ever felt in the hours she had been laboring. Jonas freaked out, thinking he had hurt his sister. Tara and Gannon assured him that wasn't the case.

"Get her back in her room!" Bobby shouted.

Elizabeth and Shawn wrapped her arms around their necks and rushed her back into her room. "Ooooohhh honeeeey," Kayla wailed to Shawn, "there's a lot of pressure. I think it's time."

Fearing those words, Elizabeth cried, "BOBBY GET THE GOD DAMN DOCTOR!" Bobby fled, shouting calling for the doctor. Two nurses dashed into the room and one of them had asked to check Kayla's dilation, which she hadn't cared at all. One of the nurse's eyes bulged out of her face.

"Get Dr. Hart Kylie, she's fully dilated."