Chapter 17-Permanent

9:57 pm.

Molli Christine Murgatroyd was dead. Two nurses looked at the doctor nervously. How were they going to break the news to the crowd in the waiting room? He certainly couldn't avoid it for long.

Step by step, the doctor thought of how he could generously announce the death of a young woman who had a promising future. But then again...he began to think of the circumstances in which a few party members explained the events that occured before Molli's fatal accident.

The long time physician stopped at the door, exhaling deeply. "Lord give me strength," he muttered.

He braced himself for the crowd's reaction, opening the door. Every member of the glee club jolted out of their chairs.

"How is she?" Shawn asked.
"What's the word?" Bobby wondered. "Tell us something!" Kayla exclaimed.

The doctor drew a heavier breath, this was worse than he thought. He looked into the eyes of everyone, waiting to hear what he had to say.

"We lost her," the doctor spoke, "we did all we could, but there was too much blood lost from the C-section and the chest wound. She was declared dead at 9:57. I wish we could've done more. I'm so sorry everyone."

He then departed to call for a mortician to take Molli's lifeless body to the morgue.

There was shock and horror written on the faces of the glee club members. Jacoby feel on his knees and burst in tears.

Kristina, the NICU nurse, came from around the corner, spotting Bobby and motioned him to come to where she was.

"Mr. Thi-"
"Just call me Bobby."
"Okay. Bobby, your son went into cardiac arrest. We did all we could. We lost Derrick five minutes ago. I'm so sorry."

His knees unbuckled and fell toward Kristina, sobbing uncontrollably. His hands lost grip of her forearms. Elizabeth rushed toward him.

"Don't tell me..." she said.
"Yes," Kristina said, "we lost Derrick."

"THE BABY'S DEAD?!" Allie overheardly shouted.

Half of the glee club stayed with Jacoby while the rest went to Bobby as Kristina left. Shawn sat down next to his best friend, offering his shoulder for Bobby to cry on. Kayla squatted in front of her grieving friend, gently rubbing his legs.

"Breathe," she coaxed, "take a deep breath."

"I-I-I ca-can't Kay!" he wailed. He was started to hyperventilate, which worried the small group surrounding him.

Gannon and Tara returned with Mrs. Murgatroyd, seeing two young men crying, assuming the fate.

"I told you I was coming after you if Molli died," Mrs. Murgatroyd spoke to Jacoby, "but you're already going through enough. Just let this be a lesson to you, never take anyone for granted." She knelt down to his level and began to cry with him.

The next couple of days were a blur. While Jacoby helped planned Molli's funeral with the Murgatroyds, it was decided for Bobby to take care of Derrick's arrangements. He asked for Kayla and Shawn to help him with that.

"I don't know anything about planning a funeral," he moaned.

"And you think the two of us do?" Shawn lightly chuckled.

Bobby wasn't sure of the idea of burying his child, but wasn't too keen of cremating the deceased baby boy. With some loving coaxing, he made up his mind of burying Derrick. The main question was whether to bury him as "Derrick Murgatroyd" or "Derrick Thinnes."

"I have a suggestion," Kayla spoke, "what if you bury him as Derrick Murgatroyd-Thinnes?"

The other two boys nod their heads in agreement.

Derrick's service was only for Bobby, his immediate family, Molli's immediate family, Kayla, Elizabeth, Shawn and Jacoby. It was a closed casket with tiny teddy bears and blue flowers surrounding the room. It made Kayla extremely emotional, thinking about the little girl growing in her belly.

Bobby carried the small casket and placed it in the hole at the cemetery. It was one of the hardest things he ever had to do in his lifetime. The preacher said a few kind words, and that was it; Derrick Jaymes Murgatroyd-Thinnes was laid to rest.

Elizabeth slowly approached her heartbroken boyfriend. "I'm sorry love," she said.

He turned to look at her. He wrapped his arms around her waist in a tight, yet delicate, manner and cried on her shoulder.

"Ssshhh," she cooed, "it's going to be okay. We'll be alright. I'm gonna love you through it."

-Two days later-

Kayla and Shawn walked in the big church, her arm wrapped on his body, his right hand on her swollen belly in a protective way. They, like the rest of the glee club, never imagined of saying goodbye to one of their own in a permanent way.

The pews were full with the glee club members, Tara, Gannon, Jonas, Harvey and almost every member of Molli's family. It was a big turnout. However, Jacoby felt uneasy as he met the angry eyes of some of Molli's family members.

"That's the boy that is the cause of Mol's death," her aunt whispered to her grandfather.

Jacoby leaned over to talk to Molli's mother, Julie. "I don't think your relatives want me here," he whispered.

Julie shook her head. She wrapped her arm around his waist and they walked to the front row. "You were the first boy she loved. Regardless of everything that has happened, I want you here."

The service began moments later. There were laughter and tears, stories and jokes. Each person that went up to say something had a tear in their eye by the time they were done talking.

Soon, it was Jacoby's turn to speak. He drew a breath and squeezed Julie's hand for reassurance. He walked up to the podium, sighing again before he spoke.

"No words could describe how I felt when Molli agreed to be my girlfriend. I was beyond happy, I secretly had a crush on her since the 6th grade and her being my girlfriend at 9th grade was a dream come true," he said, "I loved her with all my being. She was my soulmate, the air I breathed. She was the most stunning young lady that had graced my life,"

He stopped to breathe once more, holding back his tears. Kayla noticed and waddled her way to him to comfort her dear friend.

"Thank you Kay," he whispered.
"No problem, go on with your speech," she coaxed.

He cleared his throat to continue.

"It was at the gender party of my friends Kayla and Shawn when Mol told me she was pregnant. I was shocked, stunned...I didn't know how to comprehend. But I was there for her. And when I learned I wasn't her son's father.....it destroyed me. Her death has destroyed me even worse. If I could take back that day when I learned the truth, I would."

He felt a huge lump in his throat. He couldn't bare to continue. He handed Kayla his notes of what he wanted to say and returned to sit next to Julie.

Kayla cleared her throat. "I loved Molli Christine with all my soul. She was the reason I kept going in all I did," she read the notes, "she was my whole world. And now I'm going to spend the rest of my life without my world. I don't know how I will continue on with my life, but I will try, step by step, day by day. She'll forever be missed by those who loved her dearly. I love you Molli Christine, my heart, my love, my life, my mocha."

Watching Molli's casket being lowered down was the one thing the entire glee club dreaded. They knew she was gone but her casket being put in the ground was a new reality for them; this was not a sick dream. There was no way of rewinding life.

Bobby and Elizabeth embraced each other tightly. Shawn had his arm wrapped around Kayla's swollen torso; the pregnant girl offered her hand to her heartbroken friend, one that Jacoby graciously accepted.

"I just can't believe it. This is the real deal." he whispered.
"You'll see her again one day," Kayla promised.
"That day can't come fast enough..."

As everyone else departed the cemetery after the preacher said his final scripture, only two black boys, a curly headed boy, his pregnant fiancé and her best friend watched as dirt piled up on the casket of Molli Christine Murgatroyd.