Chapter 21, Part 1: Adrian

Start from the beginning

"Ladies and gentlemen, it is my distinct privilege to announce the return of Sugar Cane to the world," the old woman announced.

The old woman's announcement was met by a stunning, deafening absence of noise. No one in the crowd cheered, no one clapped, no one offered the moment anything more than open mouths and wide eyes.

Until Farah cried out, "spite the abyss and burn the Gloam!"

Her cry broke Adrian's respect for decorum, and he cheered with everyone around him, breaking into a rancorous cheer nearly as loud as the volley of shots they had fired earlier.

Even their cheers were drowned out, as Sergeant Varnell bellowed "attention!"

As one, everyone around Adrian stopped cheering and stood straight, Salamander barrels resting against their shoulders. Adrian looked to the Sergeant, terrified that they had upset their teacher.

But Varnell wore the warmest smile he had ever seen, a smile that seemed to struggle between pride and mirth, before the old sergeant turned away and faced the semicircle of dignitaries.

"Salute!" Sergeant Varnell called out.

Immediately, Adrian moved his Salamander to his right hand, let the butt rest against the ground, and placed his right hand over his heart, balling his hand into a fist.

Around him, everyone did the same. Varnell, ahead of them, waited just a moment after before saluting to the old woman.

"Gwendolyn Aranhall," Varnell shouted. "Thank you, for this triumph."

As Varnell shouted her thanks, the dignitaries in the semi-circle applauded. Adrian noted a rather varied degree of enthusiasm. From soft, slow clapping from a group of well-dressed individuals near the fringes of the circle, to Benden Tammerlane, who's thunderous applause was easily audible despite the noise.

As the applause died down, Varnell turned to them, and said, "they will be serving coffee and refreshments for the next hour or so. The coffee is supposed to be only for the dignitaries, but I will not discourage you from testing the principle that we are all equal inside the walls. Try to avoid offending anyone here, though. The upper echelons of society tend to be petty and vengeful."

Adrian grinned as the sergeant made a point of raising her voice at the last sentence, her powerful voice easily heard by the crowd behind her, a few of whom stopped and sneered before returning to the food being served.

"Dismissed!"

Adrian marched to the nearby gun rack and set his weapon upright against the thin metal frame. He then opened the small pouch at his side and set the extra rounds back inside a nearby chest.

"So, you're what Varnell gave up becoming Lord Captain for?" Adrian heard, from almost directly behind him. Instinctively, he stepped forward, whirled, and rested his hand on his sword.

To see the woman who had planted the small stalk of sugar cane just a few moments ago. The tall woman had a slight bow to her posture, with the gnarled knuckles of arthritic hands, and it was quickly clear to Adrian that her sight was failing.

But he was surprised that, as his hand still lingered on his sword, he could see her left foot ready to push herself back, her eyes were already judging the reach of his sword, and her right hand lingered by something in her pocket.

"You do that trick too?" Gwendolyn asked.

"He does," Varnell said. "I still kill him every time we spar, but it isn't quick, and it's never a surprise to him. I'm not sure how much more I can teach him. He'd need someone like that son of yours to see how far he can go."