[50] On The Road Again

Start from the beginning

  It took around five minutes for the luggage to be put in the trunk, and then we were off. Avery's mum, Sandy, had come up to me with a concerned look on her face and the only thing running through my mind was 'Aw crap, what've I done?' but her words surprised me.

  "I know Avery will need someone to take care of her, so if you want to lay her down in the back bedroom that's alright." She smiled faintly, looking to her daughter. "I trust you with her. Just call me if you need anything."

  "Sure thing, Mrs. Holmes." I said, blushing a bit.

  "Call me Sandy, Niall. Mrs. Holmes makes me feel old." 

  "Sorry, Sandy." I blushed even redder now. I guess I was just really surprised that she was being this sweet to me. I had assumed that when we found Avery again she wouldn't want me seeing her daughter because I didn't look after her, but it was the exact opposite.

  "I'm so tired." Avery groaned, rubbing her eye. "Can I just hibernate or something?"

  I laughed at my girlfriend and helped her get to the bigger bed that was in the back of the bus. I pulled the sheets so that she could lay down, but instead of just simply laying down she flopped on the bed with a loud sigh, earning a chuckle from me.

  "Alright, babe, try and go to sleep." I said, pulling the sheets up to her chin and kissing her forehead.

  "What time is it?" She asked.

  "Nearly five." I said, yawning. "We'll be at Motel 6 when you wake up. Sound good?"

  Instead of getting a reply from her she frowned and tugged at the sheets irritably. I knew that all the pain medication she was taking made her really out of it, like she had just gotten her wisdom teeth out or something. Would it be bad if I videotaped her? This was priceless.

  "Will I feel like this forever?" Avery asked me. 

  "No, it should wear off by the time you wake up. So that means you've gotta try and go to sleep so that you'll feel all better in the mornin'." I stroked her cheek, where a yellowish bruise was finally starting to fade. It made me terribly sad knowing where she got them from.

  "Good." Avery smiled. "Aw, man." She suddenly started to get up out of the bed even though she hadn't gotten a wink of sleep and there were bags under her eyes. I frowned, not exactly sure what she was doing.

  "Ave, get some rest." I ordered. "What are you doin'?"

  "I have to put Aimee to bed." She said, her eyes still closed.

  "Don't worry about that, okay?" I sighed. "I'll put her to bed. You don't worry about a thing. Do you need anything? Water? Another blanket?" I wanted to make sure that she was comfortable, because the nurse specifically told me she needed rest.

  "No, I'm fine." Avery smiled, lying back down. I hoped that her medicine wore off quickly because it was seriously effecting Avery. Although I found it to be extremely funny the way she acted, I'm sure it was quite the annoyance for her.

  "Okay, I'm gonna go and turn the lights out now. Night." I kissed her forehead and started to leave. Before I could stand up I felt a hand grab my wrist and pull me back down. "What is it, Ave?" 

  "Can we watch Friends when I wake up?" She asked. I chuckled and nodded.

  "Yeah, we can watch Friends." I agreed. "But only if you go to sleep now." 

  I think I heard her mutter an 'okay' and then I turned the lights off and closed the curtains that connected the back part of the bus. When I reached the middle section, I saw that some people had already gotten in their bunks. Sandy was in bed reading a book and Zayn was already asleep with his mouth hanging open.