Chapter 9: Dance of the Wicked Wolves

The morning and afternoon passed rather quickly as the king retreated to his bedroom for, so he claimed, some privacy and rest, for which Valek was grateful, and Ysella took him under her wing to prepare him for the dinner he was about to have with the king and queen.

"His favorite color?" Ysella asked as she pinned an emerald embedded brooch on his chest.

It had belonged to his father, Old Olly had told him, and in the middle of the oval brooch was the sigil of House Raverik ; two unicorns that stood on their hind legs across from one another. As with everything that had belonged to his father he'd rather destroy it, but, as Ysella said, they needed some serious damage control. And so she did whatever it took to make him look as noble as possible while teaching him the ways of charming the king.

"Blue."

"His motto?"

"A realm is built on order and law."

"Very good, Lord Valek." Ysella took a clump of thick green wax and spread it over his curly hair, which she'd neatly parted to the side, to flatten it. "His least favorite food?"

"Grapes."

"That's right. Make sure to casually mention that you hate grapes." Ysella stepped back and examined his uniform thoroughly. "Add a dumb joke, like, I hate grapes - unless it's turned to wine! My father is rather fond of dumb jokes." With a deep frown, she adjusted his collar once more and swept a finger over his eyebrow, then stepped back with a satisfied smile. "There, you're looking polished like a true prince."

Valek turned to the tall mirror behind him and grimaced at his reflection. There were golden chains dangling across his white coat from shoulder to shoulder, the shoulders where dark green patches were attached with golden tassels draping about, and two rows of golden buttons across his abdomen and a green belt underneath it all where the rest of the uniform stuck out from underneath. His pants was rather plain to his relief, the same green shade as the details on his coat with a golden stripe on the side. It was ridiculous, he couldn't understand why people would dress like this, but he'd done enough damage already so he decided to go along with it.

"A true prince? Ysella, no offense to all your effort, but I look like a pretentious douchebag who shoved his head inside a bucket of butter."

"That happens to describe every prince perfectly." She took his arm and gently turned him around so that they'd stand face to face, and placed her hands on her shoulders. "Lord Valek, please, make sure you succeed tonight and earn his approval. So many things are at stake here, so many innocent lives.

He straightened his shoulders and gave her a nod. "I will succeed."

Evening came and once they'd gathered at the packed table they started off with the clinging of cutlery. It went rather well, Valek supposed, as the king commented just how much they had in common after he pretended to like the same things as King Clarke did and how much he was surprised by Valek's new demeanor. He even made sure to add the wine joke, to which the king roared a loud laugh.

Once the plates were empty and the wine spilled, time had come to address the obvious. The king folded his hands underneath his chin and looked in silence at the teenager. "So, you and my daughter."

A knot tightened Valek's stomach, but he forced himself to nod and smile. "A royal union to unite two realms."

"That is indeed the idea." King Clarke slammed his hands on the table, so hard that not only those seated but even the plates jumped a little. "Do you really think I would wed my daughter to you?"