Looming Shadows - Kotetsu x Barnaby - no smut

This was a short story I wrote for my creative writing class. It doesn't really have that big of a plot, and it ends on a cliffhanger, but I thought you guys just might want to see what I have been working on//

Yawning as he stretched his arms high over his head, Kotetsu smiled to himself, pleased to know that he had finally finished with his work. His eyes blinked as he stared up at the overhead lights before slowly letting his gaze fall to his partner beside him. The male's fingers were still moving over his keyboard in a hurried motion before suddenly moving up to the screen and closing the window.

"Done.."

"Did I beat you Bunny?"

The blond looked at him with a glare, "Barnaby."

"I know." Kotetsu smiled a little wider as he slowly moved to stand up, fixing his shirt before picking up his papers, "If you are done though, let's head out. My back is killing me from sitting in this stupid chair for so long. Seriously, why so much work on Halloween?"

Barnaby moved to follow suit, pushing his chair in politely before picking up his own papers, "Yeah, I'm ready to head out."

Both men walked over to the main desk, handing the older woman that sat behind the counter their work from the day. Giving their goodbyes, they left the small office, side by side. But Kotetsu paused in one of the empty hallways, gently reaching out to take hold of the blond's wrist to stop him as well. He smiled again as he leaned closer, letting his nose brush softly against the male's cheekbone, "Hey. Happy Birthday. Are you going to let me take you out for dinner this year? You were so against me doing anything for you last time."

Barnaby hummed softly at the affectionate action, "Only if by you taking me out, you mean you're going to pay." A small, teasing smile split across his lips as he looked at the older man.

The brunet laughed softly, letting their noses briefly touch, "Sure thing. If that's what it takes to get you to come out with me."

"And I don't want anyone else showing up."

Kotetsu raised his hands in surrender "I swear, I haven't told anyone about this. If they show up, it's not my fault, okay?"

They took a few steps apart from each other, creating a mutual distance. Nobody else needed to know anything about this. And it wasn't that hard to keep quiet about. It wasn't really that they were embarrassed about it, it just didn't need to be known by the public. Being heroes was hard enough already without interviewers constantly asking them about whether their relationship was real or not.

Kotetsu was happy to finally step outside of the company building, the street lights already casting yellow lights across the town. It gave a strange but seemingly fitting effect for the night that it was. He wasn't sure if it was good or bad that his boyfriend's birthday happened to land on the night of thrills and chills that was Halloween in Sternbild. It was cute to see some of the kids running around in monster costumes, but some were wearing hero outfits. He was seeing a lot more of Barnaby's than himself..That sure made him feel better about his abilities.

Resisting the urge to take the blond's hand, they walked towards his car and headed on their way to have dinner. It was pleasant, and thankfully there were no crimes to be heard of. Or not any urgent enough to need their help. It was nice to have a relaxing night with his partner, because it didn't happen often.

But as they ate their meal, he was really starting to wish that he had just went home and cooked for them there, because he was finding it hard not to reach across the table and hold his hand, or touch his wrist. Keeping his hands to himself in a private group was hard. It probably didn't help that his lack of affections for the past seven years left him feeling needy now when he couldn't touch his partner.