"Speaking aloud of such things is dangerous, Lyra. Think your next words, don't speak them."

"Can you hear me when I think?" I spoke inside my own head; curiously hoping his answer would be yes.

"Of course, it is how all Gryphons communicate with other species.

"So you can read my mind?"

"No," He laughed, "I can only hear the thoughts or images you project onto me, and the same goes with you. But you may want to be careful, you project quite a lot of your thoughts without realising it. Try to keep it together when in the presence of my kind, or they will learn everything about you."

"Well, I have nothing to hide from you, so I think I'll be just fine." I responded truthfully, patting my messy hair back into place.

"Just now you projected a glimpse of your family home onto me, I believe it was your bedroom by the way you were standing in the mirror doing your hair." My mouth parted, surprised, "You do not realise how much you project each time you think, young one. If I wanted to hurt your family, I'd have the means to do so now, knowing the location of your family home and an entrance into your room via your window."

"Okay." I laughed out loud nervously, flicking my hair back over my shoulder. I knew I'd have nothing to fear from him, but I had no idea who the other Gryphons swore direct allegiance to. One wrong move and I could be in a very deep pile of dung.

My mind wandered back to what he had said, and another pressing question came into my mind.

"Why didn't you attack me that day in the woods? You just said yourself you have all the information you need to hurt me, incriminate me. So why haven't you?"

He shifted in his stance, rolling back onto his hide and looking away from my prying eyes.

"I would not hurt you, Lyra. I cannot. Fae law indicates we cannot harm one in power, one protected by another's power or one who possesses it."

"You mean cause I'm a performer? Under the protection of The King?" I asked, biting my cheek.

He ignored my question and looked up into the treetops. Unfurling his wings, he stretched out his body against the boulder, preparing for flight.

"I must leave now. But you shall see me very soon, Lyra. Go enjoy the party, it may be your last night in this place." He purred and jumped up into the air, his wings causing a gigantic gust of wind that scattered the leaves around us and swept my hair off my shoulders.

I was unsure if I was disappointed or relieved at the possibility of getting away from this place, these creatures. I had witnessed so many beautiful catastrophes of creation and evidence of my parent's clear sanity. I had the opportunity to see something many would never witness or realise exist. But I missed my family and I was in danger. Not only could I be killed or tortured by The Duchess, my family could be hunted and killed, turned insane or destroyed. It would be better for everyone if I returned home and got my family away from the boarder which led to the new world.

Feet dragging along the ground, I followed the noises of the party to a large clearing. Inside were humanoid Fae of all colours and sizes, bodies swaying and bouncing in time to the music while flowed magically through the air. The voice of the performer currently singing filled my ears as soon as I stepped into the circle, aided by the glamour of the Fae. I scanned the crowd for Alvar's familiar face, but instead found the King and Prince standing in the centre of the festivities, staring intently at the crowd in continued judgement.

Before I could be driven into another strange vision, I pulled my eyes away from the pair and sunk into the crowd, making my way over to the stage.

"Lyra!" Alvar's voice echoed through my ears and I whirled around, a smile forming on my face.

His head came into my sight, long hair falling into his eyes. My smile fell when I saw the creeping frown on his lips.

"What's wrong?" I said when he was close enough, leaning into his ear.

He grabbed my arm and pulled me away, falling deeper into the crowd. He waved a hand in front of his lips and then touched mine with his fingers. My lips tingled beneath his touch and I wished for him to touch me again. But his eyes were as serious as his frown and the tingles faded as soon as the glamour kicked in.

"When you sing, I need you to get angry." Alvar gripped my arms tightly, the line between his brows proving he was serious.

"Get angry?" I asked, flabbergasted, "What do you mean 'get angry'?"

"I mean," He sighed, letting go of my arms to run his fingers through his hair. "Look I just need you to trust me on this one. If I'm wrong, no harm done, there is always the back up."

"Wait what?" I held a hand up and cut him off, "What the hell are you talking about? Back up plan? If you're wrong?" I was yelling now, my voice reaching dangerous levels surrounded by eavesdroppers.

"Just think about your family! Think of all the horrible things he can and will do to them if we don't get out. Think about how he took you away from your life, the one you were happy in. Think about that."

"But I wasn't happy." I mumbled, staring down into my hands, damp with nervous sweat.

I thought of the heavy weight feeling that rested on my chest each day I was inside my home in that tiny town. My parents were too invested in their work to pay much mind to either of their daughters. Which I always understood, work was what kept our family afloat, but when Lucas disappeared I had no one left to really talk to. My sister made it better, but only for a little while. She would be home only a few hours a day, otherwise in school or running about with friends. At home, I felt alone. Utterly alone. 

All I did was sit around and fear the day of my death. But now I was involved in something bigger, something outside of my control that made me feel special. And being close to danger made me realise how much I was missing out on. I wanted to return to my family, I did, but I wished I could take a part of the First Plane with me, or return when I felt the need. Giving my family the proof that something more than human existed out there would maybe bring us all together and stop my parents from neglecting their only children.

"Lyra," Alvar's voice dropped, becoming soft and sympathetic, "Just think of something that makes you really angry."

I nodded, still frowning. All the things he had spoken of just made me sad, they didn't make me angry. The possibility of my own and my family's death scared me, but if The King wanted it done I would stand no chance. There would be no time for anger, only the depression that accompanies losing a loved one. So what really made me angry? 

-

-

-

-

-

Hey guys, sorry for the really uncut chapter and the miss last week. A family member passed away and all I've wanted to do these past few weeks is veg out on Tv. Now I've had my fare share of Gilmore Girls and Suits, Im back to writing seriously again. 

Theres a big few chapters coming up, so stick with me and Lyra!

Comment your thoughts!

Vote if you enjoyed :)

xx Charli

ps. if they're any typos I am so sorry, I wrote this quickly this arvo so if you could comment if you find one that'd be great :)