57. Someone As Good As You

I ran out of the house, straight into the arms of Stefan.

"Thank God you're OK," he said in my ear, before holding me at arm's length and looking me over. "You are OK, right?"

I laughed and pulled him back in for another hug. "I'm great, brother."

I looked behind him and saw my other brother, and all of my friends. Damon, Elena, Caroline, Bonnie, Matt, Ric, Jeremy, Tyler, and even Davina, were all waiting outside of the house.

"What are you guys doing here?" I asked them, in shock. "How did you even know?"

"Klaus," Bonnie said.

"He called Stefan, who called the rest of us. We all wanted to help," Elena said. My face felt hot and tears rushed to my eyes as I became overwhelmed with love for these people.

"The spell worked, right?" Davina asked. "The one I put in your head?"

"That was you?" I asked.

"I didn't know if you'd be strong enough, but I had to try."

I ran to her and hugged her tightly. "You saved my life."

"We couldn't get in," Caroline told me. "The dead witches helped her put some kind of barrier up. But Klaus, being an Original, got through."

"Which is lucky for her, because if I'd been in that house, I would have kicked some demon ass!" Damon said. I walked up to him and hugged him, wrapping my arms around the waist of my big brother. Within seconds, everyone else had joined us, turning our hug into a group hug.

"I don't know how I'd survive without any of you," I told them.

"Well at least now you never have to find out," Matt said, smiling at me.

I heard footsteps behind me, and turned to see Steve walking towards us. I ran into his arms, hugging him.

"I'm so happy you're OK," he said.

I nodded. "I am. But we need to talk. About the demon."

...

"Natasha?" he asked. We'd come away from the group so that I could tell him privately.

"Yeah, from the very beginning. She's the reason that you even came to Mystic Falls in the first place."

"I can't believe it," he said. "How could I not have known?"

"It's not your fault," I told him. "She had more power than we knew. She knew what she was doing, and she got what she wanted."

He took my hand. "I'm sorry that you've had to go through this. I'm sorry that she's been with you, terrorizing you for years. But it's over now."

"It is," I smiled. "I'm finally free of her."

"And we can finally get on with our lives. Together."

He leaned in to kiss me, but I pulled way, regretfully.

"Is something wrong?" he asked.

"I have to tell you something," I said. "You're an amazing guy. You dedicate your life to saving the world, you make everyone around you better."

"Why does this sound like the beginning of a break-up speech?" he laughed uncertainly.

I sighed. "When we were in New Orleans, Klaus kissed me." His face instantly turned to one of anger.

"Of course he did," he said angrily. "That guy needs to stay away from us."

"Steve, it made me see that... I'm not right for you."